Sep 23, 2013, 1:44 PM EDT
The Oilers are none too pleased with the Canucks.
On Monday, both Edmonton players and coaches voiced displeasure with events from Saturday night’s 5-2 win, during which Vancouver’s Zack Kassian broke Sam Gagner‘s jaw with a high stick and Dale Weise threw an elbow at Taylor Hall.
First up, Oilers head coach Dallas Eakins.
“A disturbing play by a disturbing player,” Eakins said of Kassian’s high stick, as per Sportsnet’s Mark Spector.
Both Kassian and Weise are facing supplemental discipline for their actions, with Kassian likely to get a stiffer sentence thanks to an in-person hearing request, which he declined to attend. Kassian did, however, have the hearing over the phone this morning.
But back to the Oilers for a sec.
Echoing his coach Eakins’ sentiments — to a certain degree — was noted tough guy Ben Eager.
“We play [the Canucks] a lot down the stretch,” Eager explained. “We’re going to go after their skill players also.”
While a good effort by Eager, he might want to re-check the calendar. The Canucks and Oilers play four times between Oct. 3-Jan. 27, then just once more over the final three months of the regular season.
That said, he does have a history with going after Vancouver’s skill guys:
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 5
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 8
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 6
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 89
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (93)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)