Sep 23, 2013, 11:15 PM EST
Fair or not, when people see a guy as big and talented as Dustin Penner go through long dry spells, they wonder if the effort’s there.
Whatever the reasoning may be, Anaheim Ducks head coach hasn’t been impressed with the 30-year-old’s play, calling his training camp work “mediocre” according to the OC Register’s Eric Stephens.
Penner, 30, seemed to shrug off a recent loss to some extent for it just being the preseason, so maybe he’s just showing an Allen Iverson-level disinterest in practice.
On the other hand, Penner might just be a hot-and-cold kind of guy. He found himself a healthy scratch at times during the 2013 season with the Los Angeles Kings, yet he also helped that team win a Stanley Cup in 2012 and has four 20+ goal seasons to his name.
For what it’s worth, some onlookers believed the Ducks got a bargain in Penner.
It’s a real shame, too, because it was fun to imagine the the ice cream-loving coach and pancake-munching player enjoying snacks together. Maybe a banana split? Oh well, it’s a long season still.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 32
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)