Sep 23, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
Fair or not, when people see a guy as big and talented as Dustin Penner go through long dry spells, they wonder if the effort’s there.
Whatever the reasoning may be, Anaheim Ducks head coach hasn’t been impressed with the 30-year-old’s play, calling his training camp work “mediocre” according to the OC Register’s Eric Stephens.
Penner, 30, seemed to shrug off a recent loss to some extent for it just being the preseason, so maybe he’s just showing an Allen Iverson-level disinterest in practice.
On the other hand, Penner might just be a hot-and-cold kind of guy. He found himself a healthy scratch at times during the 2013 season with the Los Angeles Kings, yet he also helped that team win a Stanley Cup in 2012 and has four 20+ goal seasons to his name.
For what it’s worth, some onlookers believed the Ducks got a bargain in Penner.
It’s a real shame, too, because it was fun to imagine the the ice cream-loving coach and pancake-munching player enjoying snacks together. Maybe a banana split? Oh well, it’s a long season still.
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 3
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 17
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 78
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 35
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 60
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 114
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 62
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7