Sep 23, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
Fair or not, when people see a guy as big and talented as Dustin Penner go through long dry spells, they wonder if the effort’s there.
Whatever the reasoning may be, Anaheim Ducks head coach hasn’t been impressed with the 30-year-old’s play, calling his training camp work “mediocre” according to the OC Register’s Eric Stephens.
Penner, 30, seemed to shrug off a recent loss to some extent for it just being the preseason, so maybe he’s just showing an Allen Iverson-level disinterest in practice.
On the other hand, Penner might just be a hot-and-cold kind of guy. He found himself a healthy scratch at times during the 2013 season with the Los Angeles Kings, yet he also helped that team win a Stanley Cup in 2012 and has four 20+ goal seasons to his name.
For what it’s worth, some onlookers believed the Ducks got a bargain in Penner.
It’s a real shame, too, because it was fun to imagine the the ice cream-loving coach and pancake-munching player enjoying snacks together. Maybe a banana split? Oh well, it’s a long season still.
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 3
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 24
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25