Sep 23, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
Fair or not, when people see a guy as big and talented as Dustin Penner go through long dry spells, they wonder if the effort’s there.
Whatever the reasoning may be, Anaheim Ducks head coach hasn’t been impressed with the 30-year-old’s play, calling his training camp work “mediocre” according to the OC Register’s Eric Stephens.
Penner, 30, seemed to shrug off a recent loss to some extent for it just being the preseason, so maybe he’s just showing an Allen Iverson-level disinterest in practice.
On the other hand, Penner might just be a hot-and-cold kind of guy. He found himself a healthy scratch at times during the 2013 season with the Los Angeles Kings, yet he also helped that team win a Stanley Cup in 2012 and has four 20+ goal seasons to his name.
For what it’s worth, some onlookers believed the Ducks got a bargain in Penner.
It’s a real shame, too, because it was fun to imagine the the ice cream-loving coach and pancake-munching player enjoying snacks together. Maybe a banana split? Oh well, it’s a long season still.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 0
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 9
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 17
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)