Sep 23, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
The NHL’s Board of Governors meeting wrapped up on Monday, and while issues such as general player safety and the Olympics were covered, the most interesting discussion might be regarding hybrid icing. NHL.com reports that Gary Bettman said that, when it comes to the league’s GMs, most remain on board with the rule change.
Bettman’s discussion of hybrid icing begins at around the 44-second mark of the video below:
In case you don’t want to watch the clip, Bettman said that the “vast majority” of GMs approve of hybrid icing (despite voicing some concerns). The players, meanwhile, need to get organized to vote on the rule before the preseason ends.
Whether the NHLPA votes to keep things the same or not, Bettman said that the league will stick with the same version of icing for the entirety of the 2013-14 campaign.
Update: TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the NHLPA plans a full member vote on the issue. No word on the deadline for such polling.
Here’s a collection of viewpoints on the issue:
- Puckhandling wiz goalie Martin Brodeur thinks it’s “confusing” and would vote it down.
- Brodeur’s GM Lou Lamoriello isn’t thrilled about refs facing another judgment call.
- Boston Bruins head coach Claude Julien is conflicted about it.
- Los Angeles Kings bench boss Darryl Sutter makes no bones about his disapproval.
- Jason Chimera – a forechecking forward – hates it. (Shocking.)
- Marc Methot – a defenseman who often deals with forechecking forwards – would appreciate it. (Also stunning, right?)
So, if various reactions are any indication, players could be pretty mixed on this issue … assuming they get around to voting on it, in the first place.
Apr 18, 2014, 12:41 AM EDT
Colorado erases two-goal deficit to send it to extra time.
Apr 18, 2014, 12:07 AM EDT
It at least seems like Jonathan Toews is shaking off bumps and bruises.
Apr 17, 2014, 11:54 PM EDT
That was fast.
Apr 17, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT
He had a big night.
Apr 17, 2014, 11:22 PM EDT
These teams don’t like each other.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:58 PM EDT
The Blues forward is usually the aggressor.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:47 PM EDT
Opting to go with Mike Brown instead.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
He’ll remember that one.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
Battle of California.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:18 PM EDT
Stating the obvious.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:58 PM EDT
Could this be a key one?
Apr 17, 2014, 9:42 PM EDT
A cap hit of $7.5 million this season.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Carl Hagelin’s face haunts Philly in Game 1.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:26 PM EDT
Did you hear Patrick Roy’s playing career ended against the Wild?
Apr 17, 2014, 8:49 PM EDT
Perhaps 23 goals in three games didn’t hurt, either.
Apr 17, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
He calls it … The ‘Steeglemore.
Apr 17, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
Somehow a first-round matchup.
Apr 17, 2014, 6:51 PM EDT
Their first playoff series since 1997.
Apr 17, 2014, 6:36 PM EDT
He didn’t skate on Thursday.
Apr 17, 2014, 5:48 PM EDT
After twice serving as an assistant.
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 112
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12