Sep 23, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
The NHL’s Board of Governors meeting wrapped up on Monday, and while issues such as general player safety and the Olympics were covered, the most interesting discussion might be regarding hybrid icing. NHL.com reports that Gary Bettman said that, when it comes to the league’s GMs, most remain on board with the rule change.
Bettman’s discussion of hybrid icing begins at around the 44-second mark of the video below:
In case you don’t want to watch the clip, Bettman said that the “vast majority” of GMs approve of hybrid icing (despite voicing some concerns). The players, meanwhile, need to get organized to vote on the rule before the preseason ends.
Whether the NHLPA votes to keep things the same or not, Bettman said that the league will stick with the same version of icing for the entirety of the 2013-14 campaign.
Update: TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the NHLPA plans a full member vote on the issue. No word on the deadline for such polling.
Here’s a collection of viewpoints on the issue:
- Puckhandling wiz goalie Martin Brodeur thinks it’s “confusing” and would vote it down.
- Brodeur’s GM Lou Lamoriello isn’t thrilled about refs facing another judgment call.
- Boston Bruins head coach Claude Julien is conflicted about it.
- Los Angeles Kings bench boss Darryl Sutter makes no bones about his disapproval.
- Jason Chimera – a forechecking forward – hates it. (Shocking.)
- Marc Methot – a defenseman who often deals with forechecking forwards – would appreciate it. (Also stunning, right?)
So, if various reactions are any indication, players could be pretty mixed on this issue … assuming they get around to voting on it, in the first place.
Jul 1, 2015, 8:06 AM EDT
That keeps them in a position to match a potential offer sheet.
Jul 1, 2015, 7:13 AM EDT
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:55 PM EDT
David Poile has made the 35-year-old an offer and given him a deadline.
Jun 30, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT
But this isn’t the first time such a scenario has been reported.
Jun 30, 2015, 9:33 PM EDT
San Jose acquired him from Boston earlier in the day.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT
He was set to become a restricted free agent on Wednesday.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:27 PM EDT
Detroit’s creating an opportunity for one of its young forwards.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:06 PM EDT
Arizona is getting back its former center.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:04 PM EDT
He’s set to become a restricted free agent on Wednesday.
Jun 30, 2015, 7:36 PM EDT
He hasn’t been charged with a crime, but is reportedly being investigated.
Jun 30, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT
Its reportedly a one-way deal worth $800,000.
Jun 30, 2015, 6:50 PM EDT
The forward was a part of a seven-player trade on Tuesday.
Jun 30, 2015, 6:37 PM EDT
Won NHL’s coach of the year in 2013 with Ottawa.
Jun 30, 2015, 6:07 PM EDT
Where he’ll be reunited with former teammate Ryan Kesler.
Jun 30, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
Calgary’s GM responded to comments in a Boston Herald story regarding defenseman Dougie Hamilton.
Jun 30, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT
A total of seven players involved in Tuesday’s trade.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:54 PM EDT
RFA defenseman appeared in a career-high 76 games last year.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:39 PM EDT
Rangers and Bruins let their respective rearguards walk, thereby deepening the free agent pool.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
So says his agent.
Jun 30, 2015, 2:41 PM EDT
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 29
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 52
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 24
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 89
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 14
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)