Sep 23, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
The NHL’s Board of Governors meeting wrapped up on Monday, and while issues such as general player safety and the Olympics were covered, the most interesting discussion might be regarding hybrid icing. NHL.com reports that Gary Bettman said that, when it comes to the league’s GMs, most remain on board with the rule change.
Bettman’s discussion of hybrid icing begins at around the 44-second mark of the video below:
In case you don’t want to watch the clip, Bettman said that the “vast majority” of GMs approve of hybrid icing (despite voicing some concerns). The players, meanwhile, need to get organized to vote on the rule before the preseason ends.
Whether the NHLPA votes to keep things the same or not, Bettman said that the league will stick with the same version of icing for the entirety of the 2013-14 campaign.
Update: TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the NHLPA plans a full member vote on the issue. No word on the deadline for such polling.
Here’s a collection of viewpoints on the issue:
- Puckhandling wiz goalie Martin Brodeur thinks it’s “confusing” and would vote it down.
- Brodeur’s GM Lou Lamoriello isn’t thrilled about refs facing another judgment call.
- Boston Bruins head coach Claude Julien is conflicted about it.
- Los Angeles Kings bench boss Darryl Sutter makes no bones about his disapproval.
- Jason Chimera – a forechecking forward – hates it. (Shocking.)
- Marc Methot – a defenseman who often deals with forechecking forwards – would appreciate it. (Also stunning, right?)
So, if various reactions are any indication, players could be pretty mixed on this issue … assuming they get around to voting on it, in the first place.
May 24, 2015, 2:05 AM EDT
“Finally got a bounce.”
May 24, 2015, 12:52 AM EDT
Chicago wins another long overtime game.
May 24, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
This series heads back to California, all even.
May 24, 2015, 12:08 AM EDT
Double overtime? Sure, why not?
May 23, 2015, 10:54 PM EDT
Chicago had the lead. Gave it up. Tied it up again.
May 23, 2015, 9:41 PM EDT
Trying to get under the opposition’s skin.
May 23, 2015, 9:18 PM EDT
Blackhawks and Ducks going at it.
May 23, 2015, 8:49 PM EDT
But emphasized the need to remain “professional.”
May 23, 2015, 8:04 PM EDT
The reaction to the big news continues to pour in.
May 23, 2015, 7:05 PM EDT
Anaheim can put Chicago on the brink of elimination.
May 23, 2015, 6:17 PM EDT
“I have a tremendous amount of respect for Claude.”
May 23, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
He suffered an undisclosed injury in Game 3.
May 23, 2015, 4:44 PM EDT
Oilers’ prospects Leon Draisaitl and Marc-Olivier Roy were among those who received 10-minute misconducts on Friday night.
May 23, 2015, 3:43 PM EDT
His teammate Vladimir Sobotka is likely staying in Russia.
May 23, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT
The Bolts’ starter has allowed five goals in each of his last two starts.
May 23, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
They’ll play alongside Patrick Sharp.
May 23, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
He thought the commissioner was misquoted.
May 23, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
A formal announcement could come as early as next week.
May 23, 2015, 10:40 AM EDT
He’ll serve as an assistant to GM Don Maloney.
May 23, 2015, 9:43 AM EDT
He would be eligible for this year’s draft, if he doesn’t come to terms by June 1.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)