Sep 23, 2013, 8:01 PM EST
The NHL’s Board of Governors meeting wrapped up on Monday, and while issues such as general player safety and the Olympics were covered, the most interesting discussion might be regarding hybrid icing. NHL.com reports that Gary Bettman said that, when it comes to the league’s GMs, most remain on board with the rule change.
Bettman’s discussion of hybrid icing begins at around the 44-second mark of the video below:
In case you don’t want to watch the clip, Bettman said that the “vast majority” of GMs approve of hybrid icing (despite voicing some concerns). The players, meanwhile, need to get organized to vote on the rule before the preseason ends.
Whether the NHLPA votes to keep things the same or not, Bettman said that the league will stick with the same version of icing for the entirety of the 2013-14 campaign.
Update: TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the NHLPA plans a full member vote on the issue. No word on the deadline for such polling.
Here’s a collection of viewpoints on the issue:
- Puckhandling wiz goalie Martin Brodeur thinks it’s “confusing” and would vote it down.
- Brodeur’s GM Lou Lamoriello isn’t thrilled about refs facing another judgment call.
- Boston Bruins head coach Claude Julien is conflicted about it.
- Los Angeles Kings bench boss Darryl Sutter makes no bones about his disapproval.
- Jason Chimera – a forechecking forward – hates it. (Shocking.)
- Marc Methot – a defenseman who often deals with forechecking forwards – would appreciate it. (Also stunning, right?)
So, if various reactions are any indication, players could be pretty mixed on this issue … assuming they get around to voting on it, in the first place.
Nov 25, 2014, 5:04 PM EST
“Let’s get real. Finding top-four defensemen, they’re not available,” says GM Dean Lombardi.
Nov 25, 2014, 4:35 PM EST
And rightly so.
Nov 25, 2014, 4:27 PM EST
Alex Mallet for Andrey Pedan, specifically.
Nov 25, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
Bojangles. That’s a funny name.
Nov 25, 2014, 3:31 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 25, 2014, 3:31 PM EST
“I would rather fight than turtle or anything like that.”
Nov 25, 2014, 2:36 PM EST
This is… surprising.
Nov 25, 2014, 2:25 PM EST
Cory Schneider to “see what kind of player he is” tonight.
Nov 25, 2014, 2:01 PM EST
The Blue Jackets, Flyers, Avalanche, Stars, and Sharks all made the playoffs last season. But they’re not in position now.
Nov 25, 2014, 1:47 PM EST
GM Dale Tallon reportedly wants to make room for some youngsters.
Nov 25, 2014, 1:25 PM EST
For the first time since Nov. 1.
Nov 25, 2014, 12:38 PM EST
That’s a picture of former first-rounder Alex Plante.
Nov 25, 2014, 12:28 PM EST
Pointless in 17 games this season.
Nov 25, 2014, 12:01 PM EST
So says Patrick Roy.
Nov 25, 2014, 11:34 AM EST
Isles were the biggest risers.
Nov 25, 2014, 10:43 AM EST
“Of course, I’m not too happy.”
Nov 25, 2014, 9:55 AM EST
“So I won’t be playing that much next game, I don’t think.”
Nov 25, 2014, 8:59 AM EST
They’re drawing just 12,404 fans per game.
Nov 25, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Nov 24, 2014, 11:54 PM EST
“I understand the business.”
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 3
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 12
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 14
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 41
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 5
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)