Sep 22, 2013, 1:36 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers were already facing depth issues at center and now they’re about to be tested even further.
The team announce forward Sam Gagner would be out indefinitely with a broken jaw suffered in last night’s preseason win over Vancouver. Gagner was high-sticked in the second period, left the game and did not return.
The Oilers were set to start the season with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins as he’s recovering from offseason shoulder surgery. They’ve been playing Taylor Hall at center to take his place for the time being, but losing Gagner means they’re now without their top two pivots.
With the Oilers hoping to return to the playoffs for the first time since 2006, this season is not getting started at all the way they hoped.
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 0
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 27
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)