Sep 22, 2013, 1:36 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers were already facing depth issues at center and now they’re about to be tested even further.
The team announce forward Sam Gagner would be out indefinitely with a broken jaw suffered in last night’s preseason win over Vancouver. Gagner was high-sticked in the second period, left the game and did not return.
The Oilers were set to start the season with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins as he’s recovering from offseason shoulder surgery. They’ve been playing Taylor Hall at center to take his place for the time being, but losing Gagner means they’re now without their top two pivots.
With the Oilers hoping to return to the playoffs for the first time since 2006, this season is not getting started at all the way they hoped.
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 7
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 34
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 147
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 15
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (148)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)