Sep 22, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT
Boston Bruins prospect Malcolm Subban faced his brother P.K. Subban on Monday and received a rude awakening via an 8-goal shellacking by the Detroit Red Wings on Thursday, but now his NHL lessons appear to be over. CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty reports that Bruins demoted Subban along with three other players on Sunday.
It appears that the Bruins are content to roll with Chad Johnson (or Niklas Svedberg) as Tuukka Rask‘s backup. Subban, 19, and the rest of the B’s prospect will get more seasoning via training camp with the AHL’s Providence Bruins.
Other cuts included Justin Florek, Carter Camper and Zach Trotman.
Haggerty points out that Trotman had an especially strong training camp despite not making the big squad.
Trotman had a sensational rookie training camp in Florida, potted a goal last week against the Canadiens on a searing blast from the point, and really entered himself into the conversation among Boston’s organizational depth along the blue line. But the 6-foot-3, 215-pounder also showed he might have some work to do in his own zone during the lopsided loss to Detroit on Thursday night, and will continue to work on those things at the AHL level.
Haggerty believes that Trotman could be the first Bruins’ call-up if needed.
- Risk Factors: St. Louis Blues edition 0
- Ryan agrees to seven-year, $50.75 million extension 11
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 37
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (37)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)