Sep 22, 2013, 7:05 PM EST
Boston Bruins prospect Malcolm Subban faced his brother P.K. Subban on Monday and received a rude awakening via an 8-goal shellacking by the Detroit Red Wings on Thursday, but now his NHL lessons appear to be over. CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty reports that Bruins demoted Subban along with three other players on Sunday.
It appears that the Bruins are content to roll with Chad Johnson (or Niklas Svedberg) as Tuukka Rask‘s backup. Subban, 19, and the rest of the B’s prospect will get more seasoning via training camp with the AHL’s Providence Bruins.
Other cuts included Justin Florek, Carter Camper and Zach Trotman.
Haggerty points out that Trotman had an especially strong training camp despite not making the big squad.
Trotman had a sensational rookie training camp in Florida, potted a goal last week against the Canadiens on a searing blast from the point, and really entered himself into the conversation among Boston’s organizational depth along the blue line. But the 6-foot-3, 215-pounder also showed he might have some work to do in his own zone during the lopsided loss to Detroit on Thursday night, and will continue to work on those things at the AHL level.
Haggerty believes that Trotman could be the first Bruins’ call-up if needed.
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 32
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 21
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 39
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 8
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)