Sep 22, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT
Boston Bruins prospect Malcolm Subban faced his brother P.K. Subban on Monday and received a rude awakening via an 8-goal shellacking by the Detroit Red Wings on Thursday, but now his NHL lessons appear to be over. CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty reports that Bruins demoted Subban along with three other players on Sunday.
It appears that the Bruins are content to roll with Chad Johnson (or Niklas Svedberg) as Tuukka Rask‘s backup. Subban, 19, and the rest of the B’s prospect will get more seasoning via training camp with the AHL’s Providence Bruins.
Other cuts included Justin Florek, Carter Camper and Zach Trotman.
Haggerty points out that Trotman had an especially strong training camp despite not making the big squad.
Trotman had a sensational rookie training camp in Florida, potted a goal last week against the Canadiens on a searing blast from the point, and really entered himself into the conversation among Boston’s organizational depth along the blue line. But the 6-foot-3, 215-pounder also showed he might have some work to do in his own zone during the lopsided loss to Detroit on Thursday night, and will continue to work on those things at the AHL level.
Haggerty believes that Trotman could be the first Bruins’ call-up if needed.
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 17
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 36
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 57
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 89
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (89)