Sep 22, 2013, 7:05 PM EST
Boston Bruins prospect Malcolm Subban faced his brother P.K. Subban on Monday and received a rude awakening via an 8-goal shellacking by the Detroit Red Wings on Thursday, but now his NHL lessons appear to be over. CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty reports that Bruins demoted Subban along with three other players on Sunday.
It appears that the Bruins are content to roll with Chad Johnson (or Niklas Svedberg) as Tuukka Rask‘s backup. Subban, 19, and the rest of the B’s prospect will get more seasoning via training camp with the AHL’s Providence Bruins.
Other cuts included Justin Florek, Carter Camper and Zach Trotman.
Haggerty points out that Trotman had an especially strong training camp despite not making the big squad.
Trotman had a sensational rookie training camp in Florida, potted a goal last week against the Canadiens on a searing blast from the point, and really entered himself into the conversation among Boston’s organizational depth along the blue line. But the 6-foot-3, 215-pounder also showed he might have some work to do in his own zone during the lopsided loss to Detroit on Thursday night, and will continue to work on those things at the AHL level.
Haggerty believes that Trotman could be the first Bruins’ call-up if needed.
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 2
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)