Sep 22, 2013, 10:47 PM EST
It looks like Toronto Maple Leafs winger Phil Kessel is following TSN’s Darren Dreger’s advice of going with the “survival instincts” defense regarding his multiple slashes on Buffalo Sabres tough guy John Scott during Sunday’s wild line brawl.
The incident happened in the beginning of the melee, so decide for yourself if Kessel deserves a suspension or not:
“It was pretty stupid, right?” Kessel told reporters, as per the Globe and Mail. “He said he was going to jump me … He’s a big boy. If he’s coming after me, what are you gonna do?”
Kessel told TSN he thanked his Leafs teammates for defending him.
Scott, for what it’s worth, hinted to the Globe he was “joking” about the threat.
According to NHL.com’s listings, Scott is eight inches taller and almost 70 lbs. heavier than Kessel. Perhaps it makes sense that Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle said the Leafs had no one who could “match” Scott, then.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie believes that Kessel, 29, will only get a slap on the wrist from the league and might not lose out on any regular season games.
On the other hand, Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston notes that Kessel received a match penalty for intent to injure, which apparently carries an automatic suspension (until commissioner Gary Bettman makes a ruling).
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 0
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 19
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 19
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 27
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 10
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)