Sep 22, 2013, 10:47 PM EDT
It looks like Toronto Maple Leafs winger Phil Kessel is following TSN’s Darren Dreger’s advice of going with the “survival instincts” defense regarding his multiple slashes on Buffalo Sabres tough guy John Scott during Sunday’s wild line brawl.
The incident happened in the beginning of the melee, so decide for yourself if Kessel deserves a suspension or not:
“It was pretty stupid, right?” Kessel told reporters, as per the Globe and Mail. “He said he was going to jump me … He’s a big boy. If he’s coming after me, what are you gonna do?”
Kessel told TSN he thanked his Leafs teammates for defending him.
Scott, for what it’s worth, hinted to the Globe he was “joking” about the threat.
According to NHL.com’s listings, Scott is eight inches taller and almost 70 lbs. heavier than Kessel. Perhaps it makes sense that Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle said the Leafs had no one who could “match” Scott, then.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie believes that Kessel, 29, will only get a slap on the wrist from the league and might not lose out on any regular season games.
On the other hand, Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston notes that Kessel received a match penalty for intent to injure, which apparently carries an automatic suspension (until commissioner Gary Bettman makes a ruling).
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 33
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 6
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)