Sep 22, 2013, 10:29 AM EDT
Last night saw Barclays Center in Brooklyn get its first shot at hosting hockey as the Islanders faced the New Jersey Devils. While the Islanders came away as 3-0 losers, it was the arena being judged the hardest and the reviews are mixed as Allan Kreda of The New York Times reports.
Coaches and players seemed to love Barclays Center. Isles coach Jack Capuano praised the atmosphere. Travis Hamonic also had a rave review.
“It’s an unbelievably cool place,” he said. “It makes you look forward to being here. I thought the rink was great.”
As for the fans, the people who will have to pay hundreds of dollars for tickets, there were some complaints.
“You get the creature comforts of a new arena, but I was unimpressed with the spectator area,” 23-year-old Megan Leach said. “There were a lot of terrible sight lines.”
When the New York Islanders announced they would be moving to Brooklyn in 2015, fans were curious how a building constructed without hockey in mind, Barclays Center, would work out. Now they have an idea what needs to be worked out before the team is there full-time.
- Letang banged up by Doan hit 8
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 1
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- The King is back: Lundqvist starts for Rangers Saturday 8
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)