Sep 22, 2013, 6:12 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers are searching for solutions at center with Sam Gagner added to the injured list alongside Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. It might not be ideal, but Jordan Eberle is offering to shift to the middle much like Taylor Hall already has, as Bob Stauffer of the team’s Web site reports.
The 23-year-old mentioned that he played at center for the Regina Pats in the WHL before he changed positions there.
Dan Tencer of the Oilers’ Radio Network trotted out a few other options on Twitter.
If Eberle doesn’t go to C you could insert Arcobello or Lander or put Smyth at C. Gordon probably moves up in both cases. Or acquire someone
— Dan Tencer (@dantencer) September 22, 2013
The list of free agent centers isn’t exactly robust right now, but here are a few names that stand out:
Those players all have their warts – in some cases, they’re signed on a limited deal with an overseas team – but the Oilers might want to look into adding someone else.
On the bright side, Eberle and others are at least willing to leave their comfort zones.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 11
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 15
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 12
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5