Sep 22, 2013, 6:12 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers are searching for solutions at center with Sam Gagner added to the injured list alongside Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. It might not be ideal, but Jordan Eberle is offering to shift to the middle much like Taylor Hall already has, as Bob Stauffer of the team’s Web site reports.
The 23-year-old mentioned that he played at center for the Regina Pats in the WHL before he changed positions there.
Dan Tencer of the Oilers’ Radio Network trotted out a few other options on Twitter.
If Eberle doesn’t go to C you could insert Arcobello or Lander or put Smyth at C. Gordon probably moves up in both cases. Or acquire someone
— Dan Tencer (@dantencer) September 22, 2013
The list of free agent centers isn’t exactly robust right now, but here are a few names that stand out:
Those players all have their warts – in some cases, they’re signed on a limited deal with an overseas team – but the Oilers might want to look into adding someone else.
On the bright side, Eberle and others are at least willing to leave their comfort zones.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 1
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 3
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 34
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)