Sep 22, 2013, 6:12 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers are searching for solutions at center with Sam Gagner added to the injured list alongside Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. It might not be ideal, but Jordan Eberle is offering to shift to the middle much like Taylor Hall already has, as Bob Stauffer of the team’s Web site reports.
The 23-year-old mentioned that he played at center for the Regina Pats in the WHL before he changed positions there.
Dan Tencer of the Oilers’ Radio Network trotted out a few other options on Twitter.
If Eberle doesn’t go to C you could insert Arcobello or Lander or put Smyth at C. Gordon probably moves up in both cases. Or acquire someone
— Dan Tencer (@dantencer) September 22, 2013
The list of free agent centers isn’t exactly robust right now, but here are a few names that stand out:
Those players all have their warts – in some cases, they’re signed on a limited deal with an overseas team – but the Oilers might want to look into adding someone else.
On the bright side, Eberle and others are at least willing to leave their comfort zones.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63