Sep 22, 2013, 6:12 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers are searching for solutions at center with Sam Gagner added to the injured list alongside Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. It might not be ideal, but Jordan Eberle is offering to shift to the middle much like Taylor Hall already has, as Bob Stauffer of the team’s Web site reports.
The 23-year-old mentioned that he played at center for the Regina Pats in the WHL before he changed positions there.
Dan Tencer of the Oilers’ Radio Network trotted out a few other options on Twitter.
If Eberle doesn’t go to C you could insert Arcobello or Lander or put Smyth at C. Gordon probably moves up in both cases. Or acquire someone
— Dan Tencer (@dantencer) September 22, 2013
The list of free agent centers isn’t exactly robust right now, but here are a few names that stand out:
Those players all have their warts – in some cases, they’re signed on a limited deal with an overseas team – but the Oilers might want to look into adding someone else.
On the bright side, Eberle and others are at least willing to leave their comfort zones.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22