Sep 22, 2013, 9:10 AM EDT
During Edmonton’s 5-2 win over Vancouver last night in preseason action, forward Nail Yakupov scored late in the third to put the game on ice at 4-2. With a rip of a wrist shot he beat Eddie Lack and then holstered his stick as if he were an Old West gunman.
It’s all part of the package with Yakupov and Oilers coach Dallas Eakins enjoys every bit of what he brings to the game as Joanne Ireland of the Edmonton Journal shared.
“The kid is so much fun to watch play,” he said. “When he gets the puck everybody leans forward… to see what he’s going to do.”
Yakupov’s flashy play and exuberance found ways to rub some folks the wrong way last season. His celebration after scoring to miraculously tie up a game against the Kings last season saw him recreate Theo Fleury’s knee-slide celebration. It was so much that even Don Cherry said he “acted like an idiot” by doing that.
All in all, however, it’s almost refreshing to see a player enjoy doing what he does as much as he does. As for Yakupov’s goal last night, have a look at it here.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 27
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)