Sep 22, 2013, 7:57 PM EST
If Phoenix Coyotes prospect Brandon Gormley is going to make an impact on the NHL club as expected in 2013-14, it looks like it won’t happen early on.
Gormley, 21, was one of five players assigned to the Portland Pirates (the Coyotes’ AHL affiliate) on Sunday. Forward Brendan Shinnimin, defenseman Connor Murphy and goalies Mike Lee and Mark Visentin were also unable to survive the latest training camp cut, as 31 players remain in the mix.
This must be frustrating for Gormley, a 2010 first-rounder (13th overall) who professed his NHL-readiness back in the summer of 2012.
It’s reasonable to assume that he might be one of the club’s first choices for a call-up next season, yet one cannot also help but wonder if impatience is building on one of (if not both) sides. He still doesn’t have a single game of regular season NHL action on his resume.
Sooner or later, one assumes something has to give.
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 13
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 53
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)