Sep 22, 2013, 7:57 PM EST
If Phoenix Coyotes prospect Brandon Gormley is going to make an impact on the NHL club as expected in 2013-14, it looks like it won’t happen early on.
Gormley, 21, was one of five players assigned to the Portland Pirates (the Coyotes’ AHL affiliate) on Sunday. Forward Brendan Shinnimin, defenseman Connor Murphy and goalies Mike Lee and Mark Visentin were also unable to survive the latest training camp cut, as 31 players remain in the mix.
This must be frustrating for Gormley, a 2010 first-rounder (13th overall) who professed his NHL-readiness back in the summer of 2012.
It’s reasonable to assume that he might be one of the club’s first choices for a call-up next season, yet one cannot also help but wonder if impatience is building on one of (if not both) sides. He still doesn’t have a single game of regular season NHL action on his resume.
Sooner or later, one assumes something has to give.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)