Sep 22, 2013, 5:37 PM EST
Vancouver Canucks head coach John Tortorella confirmed to the Vancouver Sun’s Brad Ziemer that Zack Kassian and Dale Weise are facing discipline hearings for their respective infractions during Saturday’s preseason contest against the Edmonton Oilers.
Kassian’s high-stick on Oilers forward Sam Gagner could be quite costly for Edmonton. The 22-year-old’s errant swing sidelined Gagner indefinitely, making the Oil’s weakness down the middle that much more troublesome.
Update: TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that Weise’s hearing will come via telephone while Kassian’s is taking place in person, indicating that Kassian’s punishment could be more severe.
Kassian has a checkered past with suspensions, so we’ll see if that hurts his cause in particular; it doesn’t help that Gagner’s broken jaw seems pretty serious.
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 51
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (51)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)
- ‘Don’t ruin a good thing,’ says Don Cherry after historic Rogers-NHL deal (32)