Sep 22, 2013, 5:37 PM EDT
Vancouver Canucks head coach John Tortorella confirmed to the Vancouver Sun’s Brad Ziemer that Zack Kassian and Dale Weise are facing discipline hearings for their respective infractions during Saturday’s preseason contest against the Edmonton Oilers.
Kassian’s high-stick on Oilers forward Sam Gagner could be quite costly for Edmonton. The 22-year-old’s errant swing sidelined Gagner indefinitely, making the Oil’s weakness down the middle that much more troublesome.
Update: TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that Weise’s hearing will come via telephone while Kassian’s is taking place in person, indicating that Kassian’s punishment could be more severe.
Kassian has a checkered past with suspensions, so we’ll see if that hurts his cause in particular; it doesn’t help that Gagner’s broken jaw seems pretty serious.
- 2015 Jack Adams Award finalists: Hartley, Laviolette, Vigneault 4
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Canada fights back to beat Sweden at worlds 6
- NHL hockey ops explains no-goal call 38
- Jack Adams Award finalists to be announced tonight 4
- Video: Flames stun Ducks in OT to get back in the series 10
- Video: Controversial no-goal call on Flames 15
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 53
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 49
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (79)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)