Sep 22, 2013, 8:18 PM EST
The 2013-14 regular season is right around the corner, so the hockey world should ready itself for several months of comically vague injury reports. At least the Chicago Blackhawks had a sense of humor – maybe toilet humor – about why Bryan Bickell missed Sunday’s preseason game (a 4-3 win against the Detroit Red Wings), though.
Joel Quenneville explained to reporters that Michael Kostka played today because Bickell had a “lower-body wardrobe malfunction.”
While it’s anyone’s guess how many times this issue has squeezed out in NHL history, the injury report has to be a first.
CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers remarked that she doesn’t even want to know the details, but there are just so many important questions. Was it the result of some locker room prank? Did Quenneville make this all up to entertain our inner children on a preseason Sunday? (Hockey has some serious competition in the Emmy’s and Breaking Bad, after all.)
Let’s just hope someone gets to the bottom of this.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)