Sep 21, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
David Broll of the Toronto Maple Leafs and Cody McCormick of the Buffalo Sabres dropped the gloves during Saturday’s exhibition.
But they also removed their own helmets, which landed them each extra two-minute minors, in addition to the major for fighting.
That’s one way of getting around the new rule, which gives players an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty if they remove their own helmet before a scrap.
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 12
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)