Sep 21, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
David Broll of the Toronto Maple Leafs and Cody McCormick of the Buffalo Sabres dropped the gloves during Saturday’s exhibition.
But they also removed their own helmets, which landed them each extra two-minute minors, in addition to the major for fighting.
That’s one way of getting around the new rule, which gives players an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty if they remove their own helmet before a scrap.
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 4
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 7
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 17
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9