Sep 21, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
David Broll of the Toronto Maple Leafs and Cody McCormick of the Buffalo Sabres dropped the gloves during Saturday’s exhibition.
But they also removed their own helmets, which landed them each extra two-minute minors, in addition to the major for fighting.
That’s one way of getting around the new rule, which gives players an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty if they remove their own helmet before a scrap.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 21
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 23
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 93
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5