Sep 21, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
David Broll of the Toronto Maple Leafs and Cody McCormick of the Buffalo Sabres dropped the gloves during Saturday’s exhibition.
But they also removed their own helmets, which landed them each extra two-minute minors, in addition to the major for fighting.
That’s one way of getting around the new rule, which gives players an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty if they remove their own helmet before a scrap.
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 8
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 27
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 44
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 20