Sep 21, 2013, 11:29 AM EDT
With the announcement that the Washington Capitals will host the 2015 Winter Classic, without an opponent or location mind you, thoughts turn to what other places may see an outdoor game next season.
Chris Botta of Sports Business Journal and Daily reports the 2014-15 season could see four or five outdoor games happen, similar to what’s going on this season. With the Winter Classic already chosen, another Heritage Classic could be on the way as well as more Stadium Series-like events.
But where could we see things happen? Here are a few ideas.
Beaver Stadium — State College, Pennsylvania
This has been kicked around for some time to have an all-Pennsylvania showdown between the Penguins and Flyers at Penn State’s legendary football stadium. The deal to make something happen there has reportedly hit some snags. If the Flyers wind up in the 2015 Winter Classic against the Capitals, as has been rumored possible, you can pretty much nix this one from happening sooner than not.
Cowboys Stadium — Dallas, Texas
Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones wants to have his massive stadium play host to an outdoor game. Meanwhile, Stars TV man Darryl Reaugh says they’ll get a Winter Classic in the next three years. Hmm… With the Stars doing their part to become more relevant, they’d make a great host, but don’t expect them to “settle” on a Stadium Series game.
Target Field or TCF Bank Stadium — Minneapolis, Minnesota
The Twin Cities have been clamoring for an outdoor game basically since the inception of the Winter Classic. They’re going to get an outdoor game one of these years, the question is: How big of a game? If they want one right away, a Stadium Series game at Target Field, home of the Minnesota Twins, would be an instant hit.
That said, Minnesota fans will pack out any stadium for outdoor hockey and the home of the Minnesota Golden Gophers football team, TCF Bank Stadium, could fill out easily for a Winter Classic. If the Vikings’ new stadium is built (tentative opening in 2016), that would all but guarantee a Winter Classic in Minnesota… If it had a retractable roof. D’oh!
AT&T Park — San Francisco, California
The Stadium Series has shown they don’t fear California weather as the Kings and Ducks will play at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles this year. The Sharks want an outdoor game badly and the home of the San Francisco Giants, AT&T Park, would make for one of the most picturesque settings for a game.
Weather in the Bay Area is already winter-like during the summer. This seems like a no-brainer to do and the Sharks would likely have their pick of opponents wanting to play there.
May 25, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT
It was a reversal from the first frame.
May 25, 2015, 10:57 PM EDT
Maple Leafs prospect Frederik Gauthier had a big game too.
May 25, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT
The first period was all Anaheim.
May 25, 2015, 9:42 PM EDT
The Ducks got off to an ideal start.
May 25, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Emerson Etem is a healthy scratch.
May 25, 2015, 8:29 PM EDT
He needed to keep his wrist frozen to play.
May 25, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
He was linked to Nashville’s playoff curfew incident.
May 25, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
The series is tied at 2-2.
May 25, 2015, 5:43 PM EDT
There’s going to be a fight for the No. 1 gig in Detroit.
May 25, 2015, 4:41 PM EDT
Reports out of Swift Current, Saskatchewan.
May 25, 2015, 4:32 PM EDT
May 25, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
They’re expected to speak again before July 1.
May 25, 2015, 3:31 PM EDT
“One bounce here or there, it’s a different story.”
May 25, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
Made his NHL debut last season, appearing in 16 games.
May 25, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
He’s eligible to sign an extension this summer.
May 25, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT
“Everyone involved with the ZSC Lions is so excited about seeing him play in Zurich.”
May 25, 2015, 12:44 PM EDT
This won’t quell the Kevin Bieksa trade speculation.
May 25, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT
“A bigger guy, playing a power forward role.”
May 25, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Featuring a whole lot of Dan Bylsma.
May 25, 2015, 11:26 AM EDT
Have the Bolts learned their lesson?
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 1
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 25
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)