Sep 21, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
Pittsburgh Penguins goalie Tomas Vokoun will be out of the lineup, although there is no timetable on how long.
On Saturday, while the Penguins were in action against the Columbus Blue Jackets, Vokoun underwent a procedure to dissolve a blood clot in his pelvis, as per Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
Molinari reported that Vokoun experienced pain and swelling in his thigh following Saturday’s practice.
Shero declines to speculate on how long Vokoun will be out. Problem not caused by an injury.—
Dave Molinari (@MolinariPG) September 21, 2013
“The clot was dissolved by the procedure, and the doctors tell us that he (Vokoun) will remain in the hospital for several days,” Penguins general manager Ray Shero told reporters.
In the meantime, Jeff Zatkoff will get his chance to fill in for Vokoun in his absence, said Shero.
Vokoun, 37, is in his second season with the Penguins. During the 2013 Stanley Cup playoffs, he took over from a struggling Marc-Andre Fleury in the opening round and was the Penguins goalie right through to the Eastern Conference final.
This is not the first time Vokoun has dealt with blood clots.
Earlier in his career, the Associated Press reported in a 2006 article that he underwent testing at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, was on blood thinners for three months and that the blood clots resulted from a childhood accident.
“(2006 was very disappointing that I didn’t get to play, but I was more worried if I was ever going to be playing again, and if I’m going to be healthy and living,” Vokoun told the National Post in May.
“At the moment, I didn’t know what was wrong with me. I had massive blood clots behind my abdominal wall, which you know, when they found them, they didn’t know if it was a tumor or whatever. I was more worried about that than if I would play again.”
Apr 16, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
Spent one season with the Oilers, now off to SKA St. Petersburg.
Apr 16, 2014, 12:53 PM EDT
He’ll dress for the series opener against Tampa Bay tonight.
Apr 16, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
Steve Mason is “out.”
Apr 16, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Short answer: Plenty.
Apr 16, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
Pittsburgh won all five meetings between the teams during the regular season.
Apr 16, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
Prove us wrong, all 16 teams. Prove…us…wrong.
Apr 16, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
So, what happens now with Evander Kane?
Apr 16, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT
Click inside to see…
Apr 16, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT
Tampa Bay’s top-six would have been in trouble without them.
Apr 16, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
His solid regular season will be overshadowed by whatever he does in the playoffs.
Apr 16, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
Previewing the first round.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT
Going up against a pretty good team in L.A.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
Add yours in the comments section.
Apr 16, 2014, 1:14 AM EDT
Well, that’s good for St. Louis.
Apr 16, 2014, 12:15 AM EDT
Apr 15, 2014, 11:17 PM EDT
They’ve struggled after the Olympics.
Apr 15, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
It was a tough season in Buffalo.
Apr 15, 2014, 9:31 PM EDT
“It puts a lot more pressure on everybody else,” says Nathan MacKinnon.
Apr 15, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
After losing the No. 1 pick to Colorado last year.
Apr 15, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
Anders Lindback gets the start.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 24
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 21
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 26
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 27
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)