Sep 21, 2013, 11:50 PM EDT
It’s only exhibition and doesn’t count toward the standings, but Pittsburgh Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury had another tough showing.
Fleury, who has struggled mightily in the last two post-seasons, allowed four goals on just 23 shots in Saturday’s 5-3 pre-season loss to the Columbus Blue Jackets. And his play doesn’t necessarily lend itself to the most pleasing of reviews.
“He’s been OK, it’s been OK,” Penguins general manager Ray Shero said Saturday, as per the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
“It’s a work in progress, I think. You see that with a number of our players.”
Fleury, 28, made five appearances during the 2013 playoffs, before giving way to Tomas Vokoun after allowing 14 goals in four starts against the New York Islanders in the opening round.
Despite his struggles, the Penguins went out of their way following the series loss to the Boston Bruins in the Eastern Conference final to name Fleury their No. 1 goalie for the upcoming season.
A vote of confidence that is, the pressure on Fleury’s shoulders grew immensely on Saturday.
On Saturday, Vokoun had a blood clot in his pelvis dissolved and there has been no time frame for his return to the lineup.
In the meantime, Jeff Zatkoff, 26 years of age and with no NHL experience, will be given the chance to assume the No. 2 role while Vokoun remains out.
Apr 18, 2015, 3:07 PM EDT
He made 42 saves in Chicago’s Game 1 win.
Apr 18, 2015, 2:46 PM EDT
Puck drop for both games is at 3 p.m. ET.
Apr 18, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
He won’t play Games 3 and 4.
Apr 18, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT
He could be suspended for Game 3.
Apr 18, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT
Neither will play Game 2 tonight.
Apr 18, 2015, 11:25 AM EDT
He received an instigator penalty late in Game 2.
Apr 18, 2015, 11:05 AM EDT
He’s been out since mid-March with an arm injury.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:51 AM EDT
Tampa Bay looks to avoid a sixth straight postseason loss.
Apr 18, 2015, 1:36 AM EDT
Another rough go for Crow.
Apr 18, 2015, 1:15 AM EDT
Crazy finish at Rogers Arena.
Apr 18, 2015, 12:59 AM EDT
Series now even at one.
Apr 18, 2015, 12:31 AM EDT
Talk about taking the game out of the officials’ hands.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:34 PM EDT
In Las Vegas.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:21 PM EDT
All the breaks seem to be going Chicago’s way.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:19 PM EDT
Second key player Nashville’s lost in as many games.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:52 PM EDT
Not a great start to the playoffs for Corey Crawford.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
Johnny Boychuk admits Isles let one slip away.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:12 PM EDT
Ottawa will need magic at home.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:53 PM EDT
Quite a comeback win for Washington.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:25 PM EDT
He blew the Islanders’ minds on this one.
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 5
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 8
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 6
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 89
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (90)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)