Sep 21, 2013, 2:10 AM EDT
Wilson, you’ll recall, is the Washington Capitals’ first-round, 16th overall pick from the 2012 NHL Draft.
In a 5-4 shootout loss to the Chicago Blackhawks in exhibition play, Wilson scored a goal by planting himself in front of the net and a fight – he missed the Gordie Howe hat trick by an assist.
His play impressed Ovechkin, the Capitals super star.
“He’s tough, man….You can see he score the goal, make big hits, fight — that kind of piece what we missing,” as per a tweet from Katie Carrera of the The Washington Post.
At only 19 years of age, Wilson has the benefit of three NHL playoff games experience at this early stage of his career.
He’s an imposing target on the ice, standing six-foot-four-inches tall and 210 pounds. The size is nice, but that can’t be his only asset.
“It’s very difficult. Not trying to compare but a little bit like Eric Lindros, he was so much bigger than everybody in junior he was just cruising around out there,” Capitals head coach Adam Oates said during the summer.
“Tom has that capability, although everyone’s getting a little bigger. We want to make sure he’s on track and any little habit that can help will be great.”
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 15
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 20
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 29
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)