Sep 21, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
Toronto’s Carl Gunnarsson is ready to be more of a leader with the Maple Leafs.
At 26 years old he’s entering his fifth season in the NHL and he tells Jonas Siegel of TSN he’s eager to take a bigger role with the team and become one of their best defensemen.
“Some guys talk a lot, some guys don’t,” Gunnarsson said of leadership. “But if you can say something in the room that’s good or if you can just help the new guys out with whatever it might be … I’ve been here for awhile, had Randy for a season and a half. I’m one of those guys that kind of knows what it’s all about. And obviously I need to be reminded too, but if I can help some other guys get into it quicker that’s part of it.”
One of those “other guys” is a younger player like Jake Gardiner who had his own ups and downs with coach Randy Carlyle last year. While he’s talented, he was still a bit green and had his own ups and downs with the team. Gunnarsson wants to provide the stability his coach desperately seeks from his blue liners.
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 10
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)