Sep 21, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
Toronto’s Carl Gunnarsson is ready to be more of a leader with the Maple Leafs.
At 26 years old he’s entering his fifth season in the NHL and he tells Jonas Siegel of TSN he’s eager to take a bigger role with the team and become one of their best defensemen.
“Some guys talk a lot, some guys don’t,” Gunnarsson said of leadership. “But if you can say something in the room that’s good or if you can just help the new guys out with whatever it might be … I’ve been here for awhile, had Randy for a season and a half. I’m one of those guys that kind of knows what it’s all about. And obviously I need to be reminded too, but if I can help some other guys get into it quicker that’s part of it.”
One of those “other guys” is a younger player like Jake Gardiner who had his own ups and downs with coach Randy Carlyle last year. While he’s talented, he was still a bit green and had his own ups and downs with the team. Gunnarsson wants to provide the stability his coach desperately seeks from his blue liners.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)