Sep 21, 2013, 12:25 PM EST
Toronto Maple Leafs restricted free agent Cody Franson is still without a new contract. Now with training camp well underway and the start of the season approaching, he’s looking for a place to play and may wind up in Europe to do it.
Franson tells Chris Johnston of Sportsnet he’s looking at playing overseas if he and the Leafs can’t come to an agreement.
“I haven’t explored (overseas options) but I know that’s definitely something I might have to consider,” Franson said. “Hopefully it doesn’t come to that, but it’s not like I haven’t been over there before.”
He did play there last year, in Sweden, during the lockout. It’s not where he wants to be this year, however.
Franson’s negotiations with Leafs GM Dave Nonis have been awkward to say the least. The Toronto Star reports talks are at a “standstill” with Franson looking for a one-year deal while the Leafs want to get him for two.
With the salary cap likely going up next year, Franson wants to be able to cash in then knowing he can’t really do that now with the team in a salary cap bind.
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 0
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 6
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 49
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 70
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)