Sep 21, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
David Booth, contrary to the earlier expectations of his coach John Tortorella and general manager Mike Gillis this week, will not play for the Vancouver Canucks tonight.
According to Jason Botchford of The Province newspaper, the winger tweaked his groin during the morning skate prior to Saturday’s exhibition game against the Edmonton Oilers and will not play.
As per Jeff Paterson of Team 1040 radio, Vancouver’s 2011 first-round pick, Nicklas Jensen, enters the lineup with Booth out.
David Booth left the morning skate after about 5 minutes. No indication why. Will update later. Rest of group still out there—
Jeff Paterson (@patersonjeff) September 21, 2013
Injuries are nothing new for Booth since he arrived in Vancouver in October of 2011.
He suffered a groin injury at the start of a hastened training camp in January, keeping him out of the lineup for the first four weeks of the lockout-shortened season.
He then suffered an ankle injury on March 16, which later required surgery and ended his season.
Booth had been skating with teammates this week and was expected to be in the lineup Saturday against Edmonton.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 56
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 26
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 45
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 31
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (61)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)