Sep 21, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
David Booth, contrary to the earlier expectations of his coach John Tortorella and general manager Mike Gillis this week, will not play for the Vancouver Canucks tonight.
According to Jason Botchford of The Province newspaper, the winger tweaked his groin during the morning skate prior to Saturday’s exhibition game against the Edmonton Oilers and will not play.
As per Jeff Paterson of Team 1040 radio, Vancouver’s 2011 first-round pick, Nicklas Jensen, enters the lineup with Booth out.
David Booth left the morning skate after about 5 minutes. No indication why. Will update later. Rest of group still out there—
Jeff Paterson (@patersonjeff) September 21, 2013
Injuries are nothing new for Booth since he arrived in Vancouver in October of 2011.
He suffered a groin injury at the start of a hastened training camp in January, keeping him out of the lineup for the first four weeks of the lockout-shortened season.
He then suffered an ankle injury on March 16, which later required surgery and ended his season.
Booth had been skating with teammates this week and was expected to be in the lineup Saturday against Edmonton.
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 0
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 45
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (60)