Sep 20, 2013, 11:44 AM EDT
Mikhail Grabovski has gone from calling Randy Carlyle an “[expletive] idiot,” to finding some positives about his old Leafs coach.
“It was a great experience for me, too, last year because I little bit struggle before with defensive [play],” Grabovski told CSN Washington. “After Randy I played better defensively.”
In July, Grabovski was singing a different tune.
He went on the offensive shortly after Toronto made him a compliance buyout, launching into a profanity-laced tirade to TSN.
“I play in the [expletive] Russian KHL, I make lots of [expletive] points and what’s going to happen? He makes me [expletive] play on the fourth line and he put me in the playoffs on the fourth line and third line again,” Grabovski said. “Yeah, I don’t score goals. I need to work more about that. I know that.
“But if you feel support from your coach [you’ll find success]. I don’t feel any support from this [expletive] idiot.”
Grabovski, 29, took the summer to assess his options before agreeing to join the Capitals on a one-year, $3 million deal. He sounds excited about the opportunity to play for a more offensive-minded coach in Adam Oates — “the new coach likes more skills,” he explained — and insists his feud with Carlyle was blown out of proportion.
“Everybody looks at the bad words but I say a lot of good words, too,” Grabovski said. “We’re human and sometimes that’s good.”
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 9
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)