Sep 20, 2013, 11:50 PM EDT
Earlier in the day, a story appeared on ProHockeyTalk outlining Darryl Sutter’s opinion on the new hybrid icing rule. He wasn’t in favor of it.
The [old] rule’s fine,” said Sutter, the L.A. Kings head coach. “I don’t know why, quite honest, why we…change it. The rule’s fine. I know everybody thinks, they say, ‘Oh, this guy got hurt,’ or ‘this guy got hurt.’ You can count on one hand how many in the last five years.”
To add balance to this story, here are the thoughts of Ottawa Senators defenseman Marc Methot. He likes it.
“As a defenceman it protects me,” Methot told Senators Extra.
“I know it’s going to be hard for linesmen because they have to make a lot of judgment calls and I’m sure they’re going to take a lot of heat from coaches, but that’s the game. And if you can protect the players as far as I’m concerned you’re making the right call.”
- Video: Patrick Kane scores a beauty against Buffalo 0
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 24
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)