Sep 20, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT
Nicklas Lidstrom will be back in a Detroit Red Wings uniform for the 2014 Winter Classic Alumni Showdown versus the Toronto Maple Leafs on Dec. 31 at Comerica Park.
The Red Wings made the announcement today.
“I’m really looking forward to the Winter Classic and being a part of something like that again, and to play with some of my former teammates when I played back in 90s and early 2000s,” said Lidstrom. “It’ll be exciting. I’m looking forward to the big game too when the Wings and the Leafs lace them up.
“I’m excited for the opportunity to play again.”
One of the greatest defenseman of all time, Lidstrom retired following the 2011-12 season after a career that featured, among many other things, seven Norris Trophy awards.
We’re setting the over/under on standing-ovation time at five minutes.
Click here for other alumni who’ve committed to the game.
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 10
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 24
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 58
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 55
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 59
- Kane: ‘I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now… we’ll see what happens’ 51
- McDavid, Eichel top Central Scouting Futures list 14
- Columnist: Mike Green is ‘destined to be traded’ by Caps 40
- Spezza: ‘I’m just a piece to the puzzle’ in Dallas 32
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Giroux apologizes, calls actions a ‘misguided attempt at humor’ (64)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)