Sep 20, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT
Nicklas Lidstrom will be back in a Detroit Red Wings uniform for the 2014 Winter Classic Alumni Showdown versus the Toronto Maple Leafs on Dec. 31 at Comerica Park.
The Red Wings made the announcement today.
“I’m really looking forward to the Winter Classic and being a part of something like that again, and to play with some of my former teammates when I played back in 90s and early 2000s,” said Lidstrom. “It’ll be exciting. I’m looking forward to the big game too when the Wings and the Leafs lace them up.
“I’m excited for the opportunity to play again.”
One of the greatest defenseman of all time, Lidstrom retired following the 2011-12 season after a career that featured, among many other things, seven Norris Trophy awards.
We’re setting the over/under on standing-ovation time at five minutes.
Click here for other alumni who’ve committed to the game.
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 8
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 27
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 33
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)