Sep 20, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT
Nicklas Lidstrom will be back in a Detroit Red Wings uniform for the 2014 Winter Classic Alumni Showdown versus the Toronto Maple Leafs on Dec. 31 at Comerica Park.
The Red Wings made the announcement today.
“I’m really looking forward to the Winter Classic and being a part of something like that again, and to play with some of my former teammates when I played back in 90s and early 2000s,” said Lidstrom. “It’ll be exciting. I’m looking forward to the big game too when the Wings and the Leafs lace them up.
“I’m excited for the opportunity to play again.”
One of the greatest defenseman of all time, Lidstrom retired following the 2011-12 season after a career that featured, among many other things, seven Norris Trophy awards.
We’re setting the over/under on standing-ovation time at five minutes.
Click here for other alumni who’ve committed to the game.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)