Sep 20, 2013, 11:06 AM EST
Nicklas Lidstrom will be back in a Detroit Red Wings uniform for the 2014 Winter Classic Alumni Showdown versus the Toronto Maple Leafs on Dec. 31 at Comerica Park.
The Red Wings made the announcement today.
“I’m really looking forward to the Winter Classic and being a part of something like that again, and to play with some of my former teammates when I played back in 90s and early 2000s,” said Lidstrom. “It’ll be exciting. I’m looking forward to the big game too when the Wings and the Leafs lace them up.
“I’m excited for the opportunity to play again.”
One of the greatest defenseman of all time, Lidstrom retired following the 2011-12 season after a career that featured, among many other things, seven Norris Trophy awards.
We’re setting the over/under on standing-ovation time at five minutes.
Click here for other alumni who’ve committed to the game.
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 11
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)