Sep 20, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT
Mark Scheifele hasn’t been able to establish himself in the NHL since he was taken with the seventh overall pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, but he’s got a great opportunity right now. If he wants to increase his odds though, he needs to think about what his duties might be like on the third or fourth line.
The 20-year-old forward has been superb offensively at the junior level and he’s auditioning for a top-six role. At the same time, Jets coach Claude Noel warned him that he’ll have to be adaptable.
“He’s an offensive player and he always will be,” Noel told the Winnipeg Sun. “But he should just look at the way he needs to play. Because the roles change.”
In particular, Noel is warning Scheifele that some of what has paid off in the OHL might not translate well to the next level. For his part, Scheifele has acknowledged that he needs to be more patient defensively and less focused on getting quickly to the offensive zone.
Winnipeg is a team with one eye looking down the road and if Scheifele can prove that he can handle any role now, he’s likely to play a big role in that future.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)