Sep 20, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT
Mark Scheifele hasn’t been able to establish himself in the NHL since he was taken with the seventh overall pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, but he’s got a great opportunity right now. If he wants to increase his odds though, he needs to think about what his duties might be like on the third or fourth line.
The 20-year-old forward has been superb offensively at the junior level and he’s auditioning for a top-six role. At the same time, Jets coach Claude Noel warned him that he’ll have to be adaptable.
“He’s an offensive player and he always will be,” Noel told the Winnipeg Sun. “But he should just look at the way he needs to play. Because the roles change.”
In particular, Noel is warning Scheifele that some of what has paid off in the OHL might not translate well to the next level. For his part, Scheifele has acknowledged that he needs to be more patient defensively and less focused on getting quickly to the offensive zone.
Winnipeg is a team with one eye looking down the road and if Scheifele can prove that he can handle any role now, he’s likely to play a big role in that future.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (56)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)