Sep 20, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT
Mark Scheifele hasn’t been able to establish himself in the NHL since he was taken with the seventh overall pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, but he’s got a great opportunity right now. If he wants to increase his odds though, he needs to think about what his duties might be like on the third or fourth line.
The 20-year-old forward has been superb offensively at the junior level and he’s auditioning for a top-six role. At the same time, Jets coach Claude Noel warned him that he’ll have to be adaptable.
“He’s an offensive player and he always will be,” Noel told the Winnipeg Sun. “But he should just look at the way he needs to play. Because the roles change.”
In particular, Noel is warning Scheifele that some of what has paid off in the OHL might not translate well to the next level. For his part, Scheifele has acknowledged that he needs to be more patient defensively and less focused on getting quickly to the offensive zone.
Winnipeg is a team with one eye looking down the road and if Scheifele can prove that he can handle any role now, he’s likely to play a big role in that future.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 12
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)