Sep 20, 2013, 1:46 PM EDT
Former Edmonton Oilers owner Peter Pocklington — a.k.a. the man who traded Wayne Gretzky — is going to prison for violating terms of his probation.
From CTV News:
On Friday morning, CTV News learned that Peter Pocklington, 71, had been sentenced to six months in jail, followed by six months of house arrest and two more years of probation.
On Monday in a Riverside, California Pocklington was found guilty of submitting an inaccurate monthly income report to his probation officer.
According to court documents obtained by CTV News, in 2011 and 2012, Pocklington was ordered to disclose his monthly income to a probation officer – but he didn’t share details about all the money he was making.
Investigators found Pocklington had millions of dollar worth in unreported income over both of those years – money that was kept in the bank accounts of resource companies he was involved with.
Why did it matter that Pocklington wasn’t accurately reporting his monthly income? Take it away, Canadian Press:
The case dates back to 2008, when Pocklington filed a bankruptcy claim stating he was virtually penniless, with less than $3,000 in the bank and liabilities approaching $20-million (U.S.). The following year, the FBI raided his home in Palm Desert, near Palm Springs, and put him under arrest.
He later admitted in court that he had declared bankruptcy without disclosing that he had control over bank accounts and storage facilities containing assets and property of his wife.
In 2010, Pocklington pleaded guilty to perjury for lying during previous bankruptcy proceedings. In exchange, charges of bankruptcy fraud were dropped.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)