Sep 20, 2013, 9:57 AM EDT
Over the summer, Philadelphia Flyers president Peter Luukko expressed interest in playing an outdoor game in Penn State’s Beaver Stadium against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
That has the makings of a great match. The Flyers and Penguins’ rivalry has been fierce and Beaver Stadium can hold over 100,000 fans for a football game. All the same, the NHL is cautioning that such a contest isn’t a lock to happen.
“It’s always fun to come up with those scenarios in the league office or as a third party, but at the end of the day it does require a club to give up a home game,” said NHL chief operating officer John Collins, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
“We haven’t broached that yet.”
Beaver Stadium is a neutral site between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, but obviously it would have to count as a home contest for one of the teams. That’s not necessarily a small factor as the NHL rather than the hosting club gets an undisclosed share of the gate revenues from outdoor games.
Pittsburgh has already played in two Winter Classics and they will head to Chicago for a third outdoor game on March 1. Philadelphia also knows what these events involve after hosting the 2012 Winter Classic.
Still, they haven’t played each other in an outdoor game. Despite the consideration that Collins raised, we might still see such an event in the coming years.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 2
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 25
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)