Sep 20, 2013, 9:57 AM EDT
Over the summer, Philadelphia Flyers president Peter Luukko expressed interest in playing an outdoor game in Penn State’s Beaver Stadium against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
That has the makings of a great match. The Flyers and Penguins’ rivalry has been fierce and Beaver Stadium can hold over 100,000 fans for a football game. All the same, the NHL is cautioning that such a contest isn’t a lock to happen.
“It’s always fun to come up with those scenarios in the league office or as a third party, but at the end of the day it does require a club to give up a home game,” said NHL chief operating officer John Collins, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
“We haven’t broached that yet.”
Beaver Stadium is a neutral site between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, but obviously it would have to count as a home contest for one of the teams. That’s not necessarily a small factor as the NHL rather than the hosting club gets an undisclosed share of the gate revenues from outdoor games.
Pittsburgh has already played in two Winter Classics and they will head to Chicago for a third outdoor game on March 1. Philadelphia also knows what these events involve after hosting the 2012 Winter Classic.
Still, they haven’t played each other in an outdoor game. Despite the consideration that Collins raised, we might still see such an event in the coming years.
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 19
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)