Sep 20, 2013, 9:57 AM EDT
Over the summer, Philadelphia Flyers president Peter Luukko expressed interest in playing an outdoor game in Penn State’s Beaver Stadium against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
That has the makings of a great match. The Flyers and Penguins’ rivalry has been fierce and Beaver Stadium can hold over 100,000 fans for a football game. All the same, the NHL is cautioning that such a contest isn’t a lock to happen.
“It’s always fun to come up with those scenarios in the league office or as a third party, but at the end of the day it does require a club to give up a home game,” said NHL chief operating officer John Collins, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
“We haven’t broached that yet.”
Beaver Stadium is a neutral site between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, but obviously it would have to count as a home contest for one of the teams. That’s not necessarily a small factor as the NHL rather than the hosting club gets an undisclosed share of the gate revenues from outdoor games.
Pittsburgh has already played in two Winter Classics and they will head to Chicago for a third outdoor game on March 1. Philadelphia also knows what these events involve after hosting the 2012 Winter Classic.
Still, they haven’t played each other in an outdoor game. Despite the consideration that Collins raised, we might still see such an event in the coming years.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)