Sep 20, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT
If it wasn’t for bad luck, Patrick Eaves probably wouldn’t have any.
The oft-injured Detroit forward is back on the shelf, as the Wings announced Thursday that Eaves would miss the next 2-4 weeks with MCL and ankle sprains.
“I think we we need to take a week to see how he feels,” Wings GM Ken Holland told MLive, noting that Eaves was hurt in a net-front collision during Thursday’s practice.
“The doctors feel the ankle is going to heal quicker than the MCL sprain.”
Eaves, 29, missed almost all of the 2011-12 season and part of last season after taking a Roman Josi slapshot to the head during a game against Nashville in ’11.
Two months into the 2013 campaign, more bad luck — Eaves took a deflected puck to the jaw in March, causing him to miss more time.
When healthy, Eaves is a solid contributor to Detroit’s bottom-six forward group. A good skater with penalty-killing abilities, he was a useful piece during last year’s playoff run, scoring three points in 13 games while finishing third among forwards in hits, with 25.
Given Detroit’s glut of forwards, it’s possible Eaves could start the year on injured reserve, giving Holland more time to figure out how to get his roster cap compliant.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)