Sep 20, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT
If it wasn’t for bad luck, Patrick Eaves probably wouldn’t have any.
The oft-injured Detroit forward is back on the shelf, as the Wings announced Thursday that Eaves would miss the next 2-4 weeks with MCL and ankle sprains.
“I think we we need to take a week to see how he feels,” Wings GM Ken Holland told MLive, noting that Eaves was hurt in a net-front collision during Thursday’s practice.
“The doctors feel the ankle is going to heal quicker than the MCL sprain.”
Eaves, 29, missed almost all of the 2011-12 season and part of last season after taking a Roman Josi slapshot to the head during a game against Nashville in ’11.
Two months into the 2013 campaign, more bad luck — Eaves took a deflected puck to the jaw in March, causing him to miss more time.
When healthy, Eaves is a solid contributor to Detroit’s bottom-six forward group. A good skater with penalty-killing abilities, he was a useful piece during last year’s playoff run, scoring three points in 13 games while finishing third among forwards in hits, with 25.
Given Detroit’s glut of forwards, it’s possible Eaves could start the year on injured reserve, giving Holland more time to figure out how to get his roster cap compliant.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 14
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (56)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)