Sep 20, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT
If it wasn’t for bad luck, Patrick Eaves probably wouldn’t have any.
The oft-injured Detroit forward is back on the shelf, as the Wings announced Thursday that Eaves would miss the next 2-4 weeks with MCL and ankle sprains.
“I think we we need to take a week to see how he feels,” Wings GM Ken Holland told MLive, noting that Eaves was hurt in a net-front collision during Thursday’s practice.
“The doctors feel the ankle is going to heal quicker than the MCL sprain.”
Eaves, 29, missed almost all of the 2011-12 season and part of last season after taking a Roman Josi slapshot to the head during a game against Nashville in ’11.
Two months into the 2013 campaign, more bad luck — Eaves took a deflected puck to the jaw in March, causing him to miss more time.
When healthy, Eaves is a solid contributor to Detroit’s bottom-six forward group. A good skater with penalty-killing abilities, he was a useful piece during last year’s playoff run, scoring three points in 13 games while finishing third among forwards in hits, with 25.
Given Detroit’s glut of forwards, it’s possible Eaves could start the year on injured reserve, giving Holland more time to figure out how to get his roster cap compliant.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 18
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 40
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)