Sep 20, 2013, 1:39 PM EDT
Ruutu, 30, didn’t play in either of the Hurricanes’ first two exhibition contests — a 5-4 loss to Columbus and a 5-2 loss to Buffalo — but will rejoin his mates for tonight’s game against Montreal, the first of back-to-back games against the Habs.
It will mark a significant comeback for Ruutu, who had his 2013 campaign book-ended by a pair of hip surgeries.
The first, a procedure done in early January, sidelined the Finn for the majority of the season. Ruutu made his ’13 debut on Mar. 21 and proceeded to appear in just 17 games, scoring nine points.
Once the season was finished, Ruutu went in for a second hip procedure in May, one that has kept him from fully participating in Carolina’s camp.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)