Sep 20, 2013, 1:39 PM EDT
Ruutu, 30, didn’t play in either of the Hurricanes’ first two exhibition contests — a 5-4 loss to Columbus and a 5-2 loss to Buffalo — but will rejoin his mates for tonight’s game against Montreal, the first of back-to-back games against the Habs.
It will mark a significant comeback for Ruutu, who had his 2013 campaign book-ended by a pair of hip surgeries.
The first, a procedure done in early January, sidelined the Finn for the majority of the season. Ruutu made his ’13 debut on Mar. 21 and proceeded to appear in just 17 games, scoring nine points.
Once the season was finished, Ruutu went in for a second hip procedure in May, one that has kept him from fully participating in Carolina’s camp.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 8
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 8
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 25
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 40
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (40)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)