Sep 20, 2013, 1:39 PM EDT
Ruutu, 30, didn’t play in either of the Hurricanes’ first two exhibition contests — a 5-4 loss to Columbus and a 5-2 loss to Buffalo — but will rejoin his mates for tonight’s game against Montreal, the first of back-to-back games against the Habs.
It will mark a significant comeback for Ruutu, who had his 2013 campaign book-ended by a pair of hip surgeries.
The first, a procedure done in early January, sidelined the Finn for the majority of the season. Ruutu made his ’13 debut on Mar. 21 and proceeded to appear in just 17 games, scoring nine points.
Once the season was finished, Ruutu went in for a second hip procedure in May, one that has kept him from fully participating in Carolina’s camp.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 10
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 23
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 12
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 55
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39