Sep 20, 2013, 9:05 PM EST
It has been as high-profile a lawsuit as an unusual one, given the names included, and that goes beyond Brian Burke.
Burke has now won a default judgment in B.C. Supreme Court against five online commentators – Beware NoFixed Address, CamBarkerfan, Lavy 16, Tulowd and Naggah – who allegedly defamed him, according to The Province newspaper in Vancouver.
Here is a snippet of Keith Fraser’s story, which appeared Friday. Read the full version here.
The commenters were given 33 days to respond to the civil claim for damages but none have done so.
The court also ordered that the defendants pay Burke damages that are to be assessed and to pay the plaintiff legal costs to be assessed.
It was first reported in April that Burke, a former NHL general manager with the Vancouver Canucks, Anaheim Ducks and Toronto Maple Leafs, was suing anonymous online commenters for allegedly writing online that he had an affair with a female sports reporter and may have impregnated her.
At that time, there were 18 names listed as defendants in the suit.
In May, it was reported that Burke was going to ask B.C. Supreme Court to serve the online commenters via private messages.
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)