Sep 20, 2013, 9:05 PM EDT
It has been as high-profile a lawsuit as an unusual one, given the names included, and that goes beyond Brian Burke.
Burke has now won a default judgment in B.C. Supreme Court against five online commentators – Beware NoFixed Address, CamBarkerfan, Lavy 16, Tulowd and Naggah – who allegedly defamed him, according to The Province newspaper in Vancouver.
Here is a snippet of Keith Fraser’s story, which appeared Friday. Read the full version here.
The commenters were given 33 days to respond to the civil claim for damages but none have done so.
The court also ordered that the defendants pay Burke damages that are to be assessed and to pay the plaintiff legal costs to be assessed.
It was first reported in April that Burke, a former NHL general manager with the Vancouver Canucks, Anaheim Ducks and Toronto Maple Leafs, was suing anonymous online commenters for allegedly writing online that he had an affair with a female sports reporter and may have impregnated her.
At that time, there were 18 names listed as defendants in the suit.
In May, it was reported that Burke was going to ask B.C. Supreme Court to serve the online commenters via private messages.
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 9
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 14
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 56
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)