Sep 20, 2013, 9:05 PM EST
It has been as high-profile a lawsuit as an unusual one, given the names included, and that goes beyond Brian Burke.
Burke has now won a default judgment in B.C. Supreme Court against five online commentators – Beware NoFixed Address, CamBarkerfan, Lavy 16, Tulowd and Naggah – who allegedly defamed him, according to The Province newspaper in Vancouver.
Here is a snippet of Keith Fraser’s story, which appeared Friday. Read the full version here.
The commenters were given 33 days to respond to the civil claim for damages but none have done so.
The court also ordered that the defendants pay Burke damages that are to be assessed and to pay the plaintiff legal costs to be assessed.
It was first reported in April that Burke, a former NHL general manager with the Vancouver Canucks, Anaheim Ducks and Toronto Maple Leafs, was suing anonymous online commenters for allegedly writing online that he had an affair with a female sports reporter and may have impregnated her.
At that time, there were 18 names listed as defendants in the suit.
In May, it was reported that Burke was going to ask B.C. Supreme Court to serve the online commenters via private messages.
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)