Sep 20, 2013, 9:05 PM EDT
It has been as high-profile a lawsuit as an unusual one, given the names included, and that goes beyond Brian Burke.
Burke has now won a default judgment in B.C. Supreme Court against five online commentators – Beware NoFixed Address, CamBarkerfan, Lavy 16, Tulowd and Naggah – who allegedly defamed him, according to The Province newspaper in Vancouver.
Here is a snippet of Keith Fraser’s story, which appeared Friday. Read the full version here.
The commenters were given 33 days to respond to the civil claim for damages but none have done so.
The court also ordered that the defendants pay Burke damages that are to be assessed and to pay the plaintiff legal costs to be assessed.
It was first reported in April that Burke, a former NHL general manager with the Vancouver Canucks, Anaheim Ducks and Toronto Maple Leafs, was suing anonymous online commenters for allegedly writing online that he had an affair with a female sports reporter and may have impregnated her.
At that time, there were 18 names listed as defendants in the suit.
In May, it was reported that Burke was going to ask B.C. Supreme Court to serve the online commenters via private messages.
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 31
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)