Sep 20, 2013, 9:05 PM EST
It has been as high-profile a lawsuit as an unusual one, given the names included, and that goes beyond Brian Burke.
Burke has now won a default judgment in B.C. Supreme Court against five online commentators – Beware NoFixed Address, CamBarkerfan, Lavy 16, Tulowd and Naggah – who allegedly defamed him, according to The Province newspaper in Vancouver.
Here is a snippet of Keith Fraser’s story, which appeared Friday. Read the full version here.
The commenters were given 33 days to respond to the civil claim for damages but none have done so.
The court also ordered that the defendants pay Burke damages that are to be assessed and to pay the plaintiff legal costs to be assessed.
It was first reported in April that Burke, a former NHL general manager with the Vancouver Canucks, Anaheim Ducks and Toronto Maple Leafs, was suing anonymous online commenters for allegedly writing online that he had an affair with a female sports reporter and may have impregnated her.
At that time, there were 18 names listed as defendants in the suit.
In May, it was reported that Burke was going to ask B.C. Supreme Court to serve the online commenters via private messages.
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 56
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 17
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 34
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 51
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 67
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)