Sep 19, 2013, 6:38 PM EDT
The NHL decided to suspend Detroit Red Wings prospect Teemu Pulkkinen four preseason games for boarding Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Michael Kostka during Tuesday’s preseason game.
As you can see, Brendan Shanahan emphasized that it was a boarding hit in which Kostka wasn’t facing Pulkkinen. The punishment was less severe because Kostka, 27, didn’t suffer an injury and Pulkkinen doesn’t have a suspension history.
Of course, Pulkkinen hasn’t had much of a chance to develop a rap sheet at the NHL level; that was the 21-year-old’s first shift.
Obviously, losing out on preseason games hurts a prospect like Pulkkinen more than it would a veteran player. This robs him of four potential opportunities to move up the totem pole in the eyes of management.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)