Sep 19, 2013, 6:38 PM EDT
The NHL decided to suspend Detroit Red Wings prospect Teemu Pulkkinen four preseason games for boarding Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Michael Kostka during Tuesday’s preseason game.
As you can see, Brendan Shanahan emphasized that it was a boarding hit in which Kostka wasn’t facing Pulkkinen. The punishment was less severe because Kostka, 27, didn’t suffer an injury and Pulkkinen doesn’t have a suspension history.
Of course, Pulkkinen hasn’t had much of a chance to develop a rap sheet at the NHL level; that was the 21-year-old’s first shift.
Obviously, losing out on preseason games hurts a prospect like Pulkkinen more than it would a veteran player. This robs him of four potential opportunities to move up the totem pole in the eyes of management.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)