Sep 19, 2013, 6:38 PM EDT
The NHL decided to suspend Detroit Red Wings prospect Teemu Pulkkinen four preseason games for boarding Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Michael Kostka during Tuesday’s preseason game.
As you can see, Brendan Shanahan emphasized that it was a boarding hit in which Kostka wasn’t facing Pulkkinen. The punishment was less severe because Kostka, 27, didn’t suffer an injury and Pulkkinen doesn’t have a suspension history.
Of course, Pulkkinen hasn’t had much of a chance to develop a rap sheet at the NHL level; that was the 21-year-old’s first shift.
Obviously, losing out on preseason games hurts a prospect like Pulkkinen more than it would a veteran player. This robs him of four potential opportunities to move up the totem pole in the eyes of management.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 68
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 32
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 22
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)