Sep 19, 2013, 6:38 PM EST
The NHL decided to suspend Detroit Red Wings prospect Teemu Pulkkinen four preseason games for boarding Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Michael Kostka during Tuesday’s preseason game.
As you can see, Brendan Shanahan emphasized that it was a boarding hit in which Kostka wasn’t facing Pulkkinen. The punishment was less severe because Kostka, 27, didn’t suffer an injury and Pulkkinen doesn’t have a suspension history.
Of course, Pulkkinen hasn’t had much of a chance to develop a rap sheet at the NHL level; that was the 21-year-old’s first shift.
Obviously, losing out on preseason games hurts a prospect like Pulkkinen more than it would a veteran player. This robs him of four potential opportunities to move up the totem pole in the eyes of management.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)