Sep 19, 2013, 4:54 PM EST
Tampa Bay Lightning prospect Adam Erne will have a disciplinary hearing for his headshot on St. Louis’ Vladimir Sobotka during a 4-3 shootout win on Wednesday, according to an NHL spokesman.
Erne, 18, caught Sobotka with what appeared to be an elbow or shoulder (video not available) and was given a two-minute minor for illegal check to the head. Sobotka left the contest and didn’t return.
“It was a total accident,” Erne said after the game. “I didn’t think I was going to hit his head, I didn’t mean to and I apologize.”
To little surprise, the Blues weren’t pleased with the check. Head coach Ken Hitchcock commented that Erne should receive supplemental discipline for the hit, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch’s reports.
“I am sure the league is going to look at it hard and I’m sure there will be some type of suspension with it,” Hitchcock said.
The Lightning selected Erne, 18, with their second-round pick (33rd overall) in the 2013 NHL Draft. He’s a big kid (6-foot-1, 210 pounds) that likely will be headed back to junior this season, so it’ll be interesting to see how any potential supplemental discipline will be administered.
On Thursday, Sobotka said he was feeling better but hoped Erne received a suspension.
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 0
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 6
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 8
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 55
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)