Sep 19, 2013, 4:54 PM EST
Tampa Bay Lightning prospect Adam Erne will have a disciplinary hearing for his headshot on St. Louis’ Vladimir Sobotka during a 4-3 shootout win on Wednesday, according to an NHL spokesman.
Erne, 18, caught Sobotka with what appeared to be an elbow or shoulder (video not available) and was given a two-minute minor for illegal check to the head. Sobotka left the contest and didn’t return.
“It was a total accident,” Erne said after the game. “I didn’t think I was going to hit his head, I didn’t mean to and I apologize.”
To little surprise, the Blues weren’t pleased with the check. Head coach Ken Hitchcock commented that Erne should receive supplemental discipline for the hit, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch’s reports.
“I am sure the league is going to look at it hard and I’m sure there will be some type of suspension with it,” Hitchcock said.
The Lightning selected Erne, 18, with their second-round pick (33rd overall) in the 2013 NHL Draft. He’s a big kid (6-foot-1, 210 pounds) that likely will be headed back to junior this season, so it’ll be interesting to see how any potential supplemental discipline will be administered.
On Thursday, Sobotka said he was feeling better but hoped Erne received a suspension.
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 2
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 30
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)