Sep 19, 2013, 4:54 PM EDT
Tampa Bay Lightning prospect Adam Erne will have a disciplinary hearing for his headshot on St. Louis’ Vladimir Sobotka during a 4-3 shootout win on Wednesday, according to an NHL spokesman.
Erne, 18, caught Sobotka with what appeared to be an elbow or shoulder (video not available) and was given a two-minute minor for illegal check to the head. Sobotka left the contest and didn’t return.
“It was a total accident,” Erne said after the game. “I didn’t think I was going to hit his head, I didn’t mean to and I apologize.”
To little surprise, the Blues weren’t pleased with the check. Head coach Ken Hitchcock commented that Erne should receive supplemental discipline for the hit, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch’s reports.
“I am sure the league is going to look at it hard and I’m sure there will be some type of suspension with it,” Hitchcock said.
The Lightning selected Erne, 18, with their second-round pick (33rd overall) in the 2013 NHL Draft. He’s a big kid (6-foot-1, 210 pounds) that likely will be headed back to junior this season, so it’ll be interesting to see how any potential supplemental discipline will be administered.
On Thursday, Sobotka said he was feeling better but hoped Erne received a suspension.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)