Sep 19, 2013, 4:54 PM EDT
Tampa Bay Lightning prospect Adam Erne will have a disciplinary hearing for his headshot on St. Louis’ Vladimir Sobotka during a 4-3 shootout win on Wednesday, according to an NHL spokesman.
Erne, 18, caught Sobotka with what appeared to be an elbow or shoulder (video not available) and was given a two-minute minor for illegal check to the head. Sobotka left the contest and didn’t return.
“It was a total accident,” Erne said after the game. “I didn’t think I was going to hit his head, I didn’t mean to and I apologize.”
To little surprise, the Blues weren’t pleased with the check. Head coach Ken Hitchcock commented that Erne should receive supplemental discipline for the hit, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch’s reports.
“I am sure the league is going to look at it hard and I’m sure there will be some type of suspension with it,” Hitchcock said.
The Lightning selected Erne, 18, with their second-round pick (33rd overall) in the 2013 NHL Draft. He’s a big kid (6-foot-1, 210 pounds) that likely will be headed back to junior this season, so it’ll be interesting to see how any potential supplemental discipline will be administered.
On Thursday, Sobotka said he was feeling better but hoped Erne received a suspension.
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 0
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 14
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)