Sep 19, 2013, 4:54 PM EDT
Tampa Bay Lightning prospect Adam Erne will have a disciplinary hearing for his headshot on St. Louis’ Vladimir Sobotka during a 4-3 shootout win on Wednesday, according to an NHL spokesman.
Erne, 18, caught Sobotka with what appeared to be an elbow or shoulder (video not available) and was given a two-minute minor for illegal check to the head. Sobotka left the contest and didn’t return.
“It was a total accident,” Erne said after the game. “I didn’t think I was going to hit his head, I didn’t mean to and I apologize.”
To little surprise, the Blues weren’t pleased with the check. Head coach Ken Hitchcock commented that Erne should receive supplemental discipline for the hit, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch’s reports.
“I am sure the league is going to look at it hard and I’m sure there will be some type of suspension with it,” Hitchcock said.
The Lightning selected Erne, 18, with their second-round pick (33rd overall) in the 2013 NHL Draft. He’s a big kid (6-foot-1, 210 pounds) that likely will be headed back to junior this season, so it’ll be interesting to see how any potential supplemental discipline will be administered.
On Thursday, Sobotka said he was feeling better but hoped Erne received a suspension.
- 2015 Norris Trophy finalists: Doughty, Karlsson and Subban 0
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 15
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 11
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 69
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 7
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 49
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (85)