Sep 19, 2013, 8:53 AM EDT
The Dallas Stars have scheduled a press conference for 2:30 p.m. ET today to make a “major announcement.” They haven’t confirmed what it will be about, but the expectation is that Jamie Benn will be named the next team captain, according to the Dallas Morning News.
The Stars have been without a captain since they traded forward Brenden Morrow to the Pittsburgh Penguins during the 2013 campaign. Stars GM Jim Nill has since expressed his desire to give someone the “C” before the Stars’ regular season opener.
Benn is just 24 years old, but he has emerged as a leader in Dallas in recent years. The timing is also nice considering Benn is coming off of a strong showing in Wednesday’s preseason game against the Florida Panthers. He scored a power-play goal and the winner in the shootout. He also had some good scoring chances sprinkled in between.
It was just an exhibition game, but it nicely highlights his past accomplishments and the Stars’ hope for the future.
Dallas has missed the playoffs for five straight campaigns, but they have a lot of young talent. Benn is at the center of that youth movement and one of the team’s biggest offensive weapons. Soon his role in Dallas could be even bigger than that.
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 0
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 22
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 22
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 47
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 134
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 81