Sep 19, 2013, 8:53 AM EDT
The Dallas Stars have scheduled a press conference for 2:30 p.m. ET today to make a “major announcement.” They haven’t confirmed what it will be about, but the expectation is that Jamie Benn will be named the next team captain, according to the Dallas Morning News.
The Stars have been without a captain since they traded forward Brenden Morrow to the Pittsburgh Penguins during the 2013 campaign. Stars GM Jim Nill has since expressed his desire to give someone the “C” before the Stars’ regular season opener.
Benn is just 24 years old, but he has emerged as a leader in Dallas in recent years. The timing is also nice considering Benn is coming off of a strong showing in Wednesday’s preseason game against the Florida Panthers. He scored a power-play goal and the winner in the shootout. He also had some good scoring chances sprinkled in between.
It was just an exhibition game, but it nicely highlights his past accomplishments and the Stars’ hope for the future.
Dallas has missed the playoffs for five straight campaigns, but they have a lot of young talent. Benn is at the center of that youth movement and one of the team’s biggest offensive weapons. Soon his role in Dallas could be even bigger than that.
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 0
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 0
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 19
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 28
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 3
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 45