Sep 19, 2013, 8:53 AM EDT
The Dallas Stars have scheduled a press conference for 2:30 p.m. ET today to make a “major announcement.” They haven’t confirmed what it will be about, but the expectation is that Jamie Benn will be named the next team captain, according to the Dallas Morning News.
The Stars have been without a captain since they traded forward Brenden Morrow to the Pittsburgh Penguins during the 2013 campaign. Stars GM Jim Nill has since expressed his desire to give someone the “C” before the Stars’ regular season opener.
Benn is just 24 years old, but he has emerged as a leader in Dallas in recent years. The timing is also nice considering Benn is coming off of a strong showing in Wednesday’s preseason game against the Florida Panthers. He scored a power-play goal and the winner in the shootout. He also had some good scoring chances sprinkled in between.
It was just an exhibition game, but it nicely highlights his past accomplishments and the Stars’ hope for the future.
Dallas has missed the playoffs for five straight campaigns, but they have a lot of young talent. Benn is at the center of that youth movement and one of the team’s biggest offensive weapons. Soon his role in Dallas could be even bigger than that.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 49
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)