Sep 19, 2013, 8:53 AM EST
The Dallas Stars have scheduled a press conference for 2:30 p.m. ET today to make a “major announcement.” They haven’t confirmed what it will be about, but the expectation is that Jamie Benn will be named the next team captain, according to the Dallas Morning News.
The Stars have been without a captain since they traded forward Brenden Morrow to the Pittsburgh Penguins during the 2013 campaign. Stars GM Jim Nill has since expressed his desire to give someone the “C” before the Stars’ regular season opener.
Benn is just 24 years old, but he has emerged as a leader in Dallas in recent years. The timing is also nice considering Benn is coming off of a strong showing in Wednesday’s preseason game against the Florida Panthers. He scored a power-play goal and the winner in the shootout. He also had some good scoring chances sprinkled in between.
It was just an exhibition game, but it nicely highlights his past accomplishments and the Stars’ hope for the future.
Dallas has missed the playoffs for five straight campaigns, but they have a lot of young talent. Benn is at the center of that youth movement and one of the team’s biggest offensive weapons. Soon his role in Dallas could be even bigger than that.
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 4
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 15
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46