Sep 19, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
The 36-year-old netminder received extra motivation to get back on the ice quickly thanks to Tim Thomas’ professional tryout, although Clemmensen claims he’s not bothered by the presence of a two-time Vezina winner.
“This is nothing new for me,” Clemmensen said. “I’ve been through just about everything you can think of in my career. You just play the best you can; I don’t make the decisions so I can’t worry about it.”
Clemmensen’s real ace in the hole might just be the flexibility of Jacob Markstrom‘s contract.
Like any self-respecting goalie, Markstrom, 23, wants to be a full-time goalie now. The Panthers wisely structured his contract so it goes from two-way (in 2013-14) then one-way the next (2014-15), so GM Dale Tallon & Co. can decide to give him more seasoning in the AHL without waiver worries.
They can also move Markstrom in and out of the lineup depending on how the franchise’s other goalies perform, making for some great competition that could – ideally – help the Panthers be competitive after an atrocious 2013 campaign.
None of Florida’s trio of netminders probably feels truly comfortable, yet that might just be a good thing. If nothing else, Clemmensen seems like he could be healthy enough to give himself an honest shot.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 4
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 14
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 53
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)