Sep 19, 2013, 7:55 PM EST
The 36-year-old netminder received extra motivation to get back on the ice quickly thanks to Tim Thomas’ professional tryout, although Clemmensen claims he’s not bothered by the presence of a two-time Vezina winner.
“This is nothing new for me,” Clemmensen said. “I’ve been through just about everything you can think of in my career. You just play the best you can; I don’t make the decisions so I can’t worry about it.”
Clemmensen’s real ace in the hole might just be the flexibility of Jacob Markstrom‘s contract.
Like any self-respecting goalie, Markstrom, 23, wants to be a full-time goalie now. The Panthers wisely structured his contract so it goes from two-way (in 2013-14) then one-way the next (2014-15), so GM Dale Tallon & Co. can decide to give him more seasoning in the AHL without waiver worries.
They can also move Markstrom in and out of the lineup depending on how the franchise’s other goalies perform, making for some great competition that could – ideally – help the Panthers be competitive after an atrocious 2013 campaign.
None of Florida’s trio of netminders probably feels truly comfortable, yet that might just be a good thing. If nothing else, Clemmensen seems like he could be healthy enough to give himself an honest shot.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 38
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 63
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 19
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 13
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 69
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)