Sep 19, 2013, 10:38 AM EDT
While many are curious to see Tim Thomas play in an NHL contest for the first time in over 17 months, it sounds as though they’ll have to wait.
“I won’t be judging Tim Thomas on one look at an exhibition game,” Panthers head coach Kevin Dineen told the Florida Sun-Sentinel on Wednesday. “That certainly won’t be a make or break situation.
“Because of that I’m not going to be in any rush to get him in.”
Thomas, 39, joined the team on Monday and has participated in a pair of practices, reporting no setbacks.
Florida will play a pair of exhibition contests this weekend — a Friday-Saturday back-to-back against the Stars and Lightning — then have nearly a week off before playing the Lightning again next Thursday.
Ergo, it’s safe to assume we won’t see Thomas participating in game action until Sept. 26th at the earliest, barring a major change of heart from the organization over the next 72 hours.
In case you’re curious, Thomas’ last time on NHL ice came during the 2012 playoffs, when his Bruins lost to the Capitals 2-1 in overtime of Game 7 of the opening round.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 6
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 16
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 14
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 54
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)