Sep 19, 2013, 10:38 AM EDT
While many are curious to see Tim Thomas play in an NHL contest for the first time in over 17 months, it sounds as though they’ll have to wait.
“I won’t be judging Tim Thomas on one look at an exhibition game,” Panthers head coach Kevin Dineen told the Florida Sun-Sentinel on Wednesday. “That certainly won’t be a make or break situation.
“Because of that I’m not going to be in any rush to get him in.”
Thomas, 39, joined the team on Monday and has participated in a pair of practices, reporting no setbacks.
Florida will play a pair of exhibition contests this weekend — a Friday-Saturday back-to-back against the Stars and Lightning — then have nearly a week off before playing the Lightning again next Thursday.
Ergo, it’s safe to assume we won’t see Thomas participating in game action until Sept. 26th at the earliest, barring a major change of heart from the organization over the next 72 hours.
In case you’re curious, Thomas’ last time on NHL ice came during the 2012 playoffs, when his Bruins lost to the Capitals 2-1 in overtime of Game 7 of the opening round.
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 49
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 34
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 57
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 59
- Kane: ‘I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now… we’ll see what happens’ 51
- McDavid, Eichel top Central Scouting Futures list 14
- Columnist: Mike Green is ‘destined to be traded’ by Caps 40
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)