Sep 19, 2013, 6:47 PM EST
The NHL’s are hitting prospects who are throwing questionable hits where it hurts: by ruling them out of valuable exhibition contests. The league decided to suspend Tampa Bay Lightning prospect Adam Erne three preseason games for his hit to the head on St. Louis Blues forward Vladimir Sobotka.
Here’s Brendan Shanahan’s explanation:
Detroit Red Wings fans might note that Erne received a three-game suspension while their prospect Teemu Pulkkinen was docked four for his boarding check on Chicago’s Mike Kostka. Some might call it apples and oranges, but surely there will be at least a few others who want to nitpick that one-game difference.
Either way, the league might be making a quality judgment by taking away preseason instead of regular season games, but it actually makes a lot of sense for prospects who might be a year or more from making an impact during NHL contests that matter.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 34
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)