Sep 19, 2013, 6:47 PM EDT
The NHL’s are hitting prospects who are throwing questionable hits where it hurts: by ruling them out of valuable exhibition contests. The league decided to suspend Tampa Bay Lightning prospect Adam Erne three preseason games for his hit to the head on St. Louis Blues forward Vladimir Sobotka.
Here’s Brendan Shanahan’s explanation:
Detroit Red Wings fans might note that Erne received a three-game suspension while their prospect Teemu Pulkkinen was docked four for his boarding check on Chicago’s Mike Kostka. Some might call it apples and oranges, but surely there will be at least a few others who want to nitpick that one-game difference.
Either way, the league might be making a quality judgment by taking away preseason instead of regular season games, but it actually makes a lot of sense for prospects who might be a year or more from making an impact during NHL contests that matter.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (44)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)