Leafs don’t think HBO cameras will be too big a distraction

Sep 19, 2013, 12:38 PM EDT

Boston Bruins v Toronto Maple Leafs Getty Images

From head coach Randy Carlyle to young forward Nazem Kadri, the Toronto Maple Leafs on Wednesday were downplaying the potential negative effects of their participation in HBO’s “24/7″ series during the month-long run-up to the Winter Classic on Jan. 1.

Said Carlyle of the challenge for his players as HBO’s cameras invade the dressing room and their everyday lives, per the National Post: “Well, they’re going to live like I do now. I have you guys in my face all the time. They’re going to have to live a little more like that. Obviously it’s a challenge to get used to but I don’t think it’s that drastic.”

Similarly, hhere’s Kadri, on the constant presence of the cameras: “You guys are around all the time, so we’ve gotten pretty used to it. I don’t think anyone is going to be pretty distracted by it.”

But at least one columnist, Sportsnet’s Michael Grange, thinks it’s a terrible idea for the Leafs, who already have a big spotlight on them.

Writes Grange: “There’s no doubt the whole thing could be fun, but the Leafs don’t need fun. They need focus. They need winning. When your team is a season-long, decades-long, minute-by-minute storyline, you don’t need more storylines.”

Latest Posts
  1. Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career

Apr 1, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT

Getty Images

He’s having a “down year,” apparently.

2. ‘My first reaction was, oh my God, my eye is gone,’ says Detroit’s Miller

Apr 1, 2015, 8:18 PM EDT

MillerFace2

Red Wings forward reflects on Tuesday’s scary skate cut incident.

3. Voynov trial pushed back, again

Apr 1, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT

Sasha Voynov Sasha Voynov

Kings defenseman also suffered a ruptured Achilles.

4. WATCH LIVE: Flyers at Penguins on Rivalry Night

Apr 1, 2015, 6:38 PM EDT

crosbygirouxgetty Getty Images

Catch the game on NBCSN, or with NBCSports.com’s Live Extra.

5. After eight-game absence, St. Louis back for Rangers tomorrow

Apr 1, 2015, 6:13 PM EDT

New York Rangers v Tampa Bay Lightning Getty Images

He’ll play on a line with Carl Hagelin and Kevin Hayes.

6. Sharks send Goldobin to AHL Worcester

Apr 1, 2015, 5:26 PM EDT

Nikolay Goldobin Getty Images

Has been playing in Finland this season.

7. Numbers suggest Ducks are playing much better hockey

Apr 1, 2015, 4:24 PM EDT

John Gibson, Francois Beauchemin, Cam Fowler, Simon Despres AP

Certainly better than they were in February.

8. Hammond, Hudler, and Dubnyk are NHL’s three stars of the month

Apr 1, 2015, 3:27 PM EDT

Calgary Flames v Nashville Predators Getty Images

Did you know only six players in the entire NHL have more points than Hudler?

9. Video: Kane urges patience, but ‘trying to heal as fast as I can’

Apr 1, 2015, 2:27 PM EDT

Patrick Kane AP

“I think the timetable’s still at the 12-week mark.”

10. Video: Babcock got a little snippy with the media last night

Apr 1, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT

Mike Babcock Getty Images

“You guys when you’re asking me these questions, you guys want to be negative more than me.”

Can anything stop Tampa Bay?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches