Sep 19, 2013, 8:44 PM EST
In most cases, preseason NHL contests are only a big deal for the guys who’ve never sniffed the big time. Los Angeles Kings defenseman Willie Mitchell has 719 regular season games under his belt, but if he can indeed play in Friday’s exhibition against Colorado like he told LA Kings Insider, it would be a huge step for him.
The 36-year-old blueliner missed all of the 2013 season with a knee injury that drove his employers to question him and prompted others to wonder if his fantastic (yet injury-riddled) career was coming to an end.
That’s still a question for some, yet playing tomorrow would represent a significant leap for the often-superb defenseman.
He noted to LA Kings Insider that the elevation in Denver could make for an extra challenge, yet it’s one he’s glad to embrace.
“I’m playing for sure, so I’m looking forward to it. I’m not looking forward to the thin air, but…after the road I traveled, I’d take that any day of the week,” Mitchell said. “I’m excited. Really excited to go. Just excited to get in game action. Gameday’s fun. Darryl talks about it. It’s true. You put in the work in practice so you can have fun in the games. I’m just going to enjoy it and keep working on my timing, working on everything.”
Considering all the people who wrote him off, the Kings could get a substantial bonus in their lineup if Mitchell can approach his form from 2011-12, when he helped Los Angeles win a Stanley Cup.
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 15
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)