Sep 19, 2013, 8:44 PM EDT
In most cases, preseason NHL contests are only a big deal for the guys who’ve never sniffed the big time. Los Angeles Kings defenseman Willie Mitchell has 719 regular season games under his belt, but if he can indeed play in Friday’s exhibition against Colorado like he told LA Kings Insider, it would be a huge step for him.
The 36-year-old blueliner missed all of the 2013 season with a knee injury that drove his employers to question him and prompted others to wonder if his fantastic (yet injury-riddled) career was coming to an end.
That’s still a question for some, yet playing tomorrow would represent a significant leap for the often-superb defenseman.
He noted to LA Kings Insider that the elevation in Denver could make for an extra challenge, yet it’s one he’s glad to embrace.
“I’m playing for sure, so I’m looking forward to it. I’m not looking forward to the thin air, but…after the road I traveled, I’d take that any day of the week,” Mitchell said. “I’m excited. Really excited to go. Just excited to get in game action. Gameday’s fun. Darryl talks about it. It’s true. You put in the work in practice so you can have fun in the games. I’m just going to enjoy it and keep working on my timing, working on everything.”
Considering all the people who wrote him off, the Kings could get a substantial bonus in their lineup if Mitchell can approach his form from 2011-12, when he helped Los Angeles win a Stanley Cup.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 4
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 5
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 9
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 8
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 17
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (51)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)