Sep 19, 2013, 8:44 PM EDT
In most cases, preseason NHL contests are only a big deal for the guys who’ve never sniffed the big time. Los Angeles Kings defenseman Willie Mitchell has 719 regular season games under his belt, but if he can indeed play in Friday’s exhibition against Colorado like he told LA Kings Insider, it would be a huge step for him.
The 36-year-old blueliner missed all of the 2013 season with a knee injury that drove his employers to question him and prompted others to wonder if his fantastic (yet injury-riddled) career was coming to an end.
That’s still a question for some, yet playing tomorrow would represent a significant leap for the often-superb defenseman.
He noted to LA Kings Insider that the elevation in Denver could make for an extra challenge, yet it’s one he’s glad to embrace.
“I’m playing for sure, so I’m looking forward to it. I’m not looking forward to the thin air, but…after the road I traveled, I’d take that any day of the week,” Mitchell said. “I’m excited. Really excited to go. Just excited to get in game action. Gameday’s fun. Darryl talks about it. It’s true. You put in the work in practice so you can have fun in the games. I’m just going to enjoy it and keep working on my timing, working on everything.”
Considering all the people who wrote him off, the Kings could get a substantial bonus in their lineup if Mitchell can approach his form from 2011-12, when he helped Los Angeles win a Stanley Cup.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)