Sep 19, 2013, 11:33 AM EST
Heading into training camp, the Montreal Canadiens had a logjam of defensemen on NHL contracts.
Now, that’s starting to look like a good thing.
On Thursday, the club announced Davis Drewiske suffered a shoulder injury during yesterday’s practice, one that will keep him of the lineup for four weeks. That puts the 28-year-old on the shelf alongside fellow blueliners Francis Bouillon and Douglas Murray, both of whom are day-to-day with lower-body injuries.
The Habs went into training camp already down the services of defenseman Alexei Emelin, who is still recovering from surgery on his torn ACL.
So, what does this all mean for the depth chart?
This still leaves the likes of Jarred Tinordi and Nathan Beaulieu fighting for spots on the big team. The two former first-rounders should push, and it’s possible the Drewiske injury could keep one (or both) of them around to open the year.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)