Sep 19, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
The NHL has its heart in the right place by trying to force players to keep their helmets on during fights, but as Puck Daddy points out, it looks like enforcers found a way around such inconveniences.
During Thursday’s preseason game, New York Islanders enforcer Brett Gallant and New Jersey Devils tough guy Krys Barch fought three times, but that wasn’t the biggest deal. Instead, the most interesting part was that the two fighters took each others’ helmets off, exposing a loophole in Rule 46.6., which hands out a two-minute misconduct if a player removes his own lid before a squabble.
It’s likely that the league will close that up soon enough, but the interesting question may be: how long will it take? (Not to mention the risks involved if both fighters aren’t in on the “deal.”)
Anyway, as a reward for all of that tedious reading, here’s the Gallant-Barch trilogy from Thursday:
If you need to kill some time, count the punches thrown and landed by each side.
- Video: Filppula, Stamkos score two big goals for Bolts 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 7
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 28
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)