Sep 19, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
The NHL has its heart in the right place by trying to force players to keep their helmets on during fights, but as Puck Daddy points out, it looks like enforcers found a way around such inconveniences.
During Thursday’s preseason game, New York Islanders enforcer Brett Gallant and New Jersey Devils tough guy Krys Barch fought three times, but that wasn’t the biggest deal. Instead, the most interesting part was that the two fighters took each others’ helmets off, exposing a loophole in Rule 46.6., which hands out a two-minute misconduct if a player removes his own lid before a squabble.
It’s likely that the league will close that up soon enough, but the interesting question may be: how long will it take? (Not to mention the risks involved if both fighters aren’t in on the “deal.”)
Anyway, as a reward for all of that tedious reading, here’s the Gallant-Barch trilogy from Thursday:
If you need to kill some time, count the punches thrown and landed by each side.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)