Sep 19, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
The NHL has its heart in the right place by trying to force players to keep their helmets on during fights, but as Puck Daddy points out, it looks like enforcers found a way around such inconveniences.
During Thursday’s preseason game, New York Islanders enforcer Brett Gallant and New Jersey Devils tough guy Krys Barch fought three times, but that wasn’t the biggest deal. Instead, the most interesting part was that the two fighters took each others’ helmets off, exposing a loophole in Rule 46.6., which hands out a two-minute misconduct if a player removes his own lid before a squabble.
It’s likely that the league will close that up soon enough, but the interesting question may be: how long will it take? (Not to mention the risks involved if both fighters aren’t in on the “deal.”)
Anyway, as a reward for all of that tedious reading, here’s the Gallant-Barch trilogy from Thursday:
If you need to kill some time, count the punches thrown and landed by each side.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)