Sep 19, 2013, 8:53 PM EDT
Newly signed New Jersey Devils forward Ryane Clowe left Thursday’s exhibition against the New York Islanders and didn’t return thanks to a hit by Mike Dalhuisen. Considering his recent history with concussions, the good news is that it’s labeled a lower-body injury, according to The Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti.
Video of the check isn’t available (yet, at least), but this post’s main image catches the exchange. As of this moment, it doesn’t appear that the Devils have issues with the check Dalhuisen delivered.
Clowe, 30, struggled to get up after the hit and left New Jersey’s bench after a few shifts.
The Devils added the gritty winger because of his size and experience,* but those battles add up over the years. Concussions and other issues limited him considerably over the years, even when he was able to play in most games, as he did in 2013 (40 regular season contests between the San Jose Sharks and New York Rangers).
It all adds up to a bad start for a guy who signed a five-year, $24.25 million deal (no-movement clause included) with the Devils in July … but at least it doesn’t look like another head injury.
* – Also his scoring touch, no doubt.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)