Sep 19, 2013, 8:53 PM EDT
Newly signed New Jersey Devils forward Ryane Clowe left Thursday’s exhibition against the New York Islanders and didn’t return thanks to a hit by Mike Dalhuisen. Considering his recent history with concussions, the good news is that it’s labeled a lower-body injury, according to The Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti.
Video of the check isn’t available (yet, at least), but this post’s main image catches the exchange. As of this moment, it doesn’t appear that the Devils have issues with the check Dalhuisen delivered.
Clowe, 30, struggled to get up after the hit and left New Jersey’s bench after a few shifts.
The Devils added the gritty winger because of his size and experience,* but those battles add up over the years. Concussions and other issues limited him considerably over the years, even when he was able to play in most games, as he did in 2013 (40 regular season contests between the San Jose Sharks and New York Rangers).
It all adds up to a bad start for a guy who signed a five-year, $24.25 million deal (no-movement clause included) with the Devils in July … but at least it doesn’t look like another head injury.
* – Also his scoring touch, no doubt.
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 0
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 28
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 106
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 76
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7