Sep 19, 2013, 8:53 PM EDT
Newly signed New Jersey Devils forward Ryane Clowe left Thursday’s exhibition against the New York Islanders and didn’t return thanks to a hit by Mike Dalhuisen. Considering his recent history with concussions, the good news is that it’s labeled a lower-body injury, according to The Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti.
Video of the check isn’t available (yet, at least), but this post’s main image catches the exchange. As of this moment, it doesn’t appear that the Devils have issues with the check Dalhuisen delivered.
Clowe, 30, struggled to get up after the hit and left New Jersey’s bench after a few shifts.
The Devils added the gritty winger because of his size and experience,* but those battles add up over the years. Concussions and other issues limited him considerably over the years, even when he was able to play in most games, as he did in 2013 (40 regular season contests between the San Jose Sharks and New York Rangers).
It all adds up to a bad start for a guy who signed a five-year, $24.25 million deal (no-movement clause included) with the Devils in July … but at least it doesn’t look like another head injury.
* – Also his scoring touch, no doubt.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)