Sep 19, 2013, 8:53 PM EDT
Newly signed New Jersey Devils forward Ryane Clowe left Thursday’s exhibition against the New York Islanders and didn’t return thanks to a hit by Mike Dalhuisen. Considering his recent history with concussions, the good news is that it’s labeled a lower-body injury, according to The Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti.
Video of the check isn’t available (yet, at least), but this post’s main image catches the exchange. As of this moment, it doesn’t appear that the Devils have issues with the check Dalhuisen delivered.
Clowe, 30, struggled to get up after the hit and left New Jersey’s bench after a few shifts.
The Devils added the gritty winger because of his size and experience,* but those battles add up over the years. Concussions and other issues limited him considerably over the years, even when he was able to play in most games, as he did in 2013 (40 regular season contests between the San Jose Sharks and New York Rangers).
It all adds up to a bad start for a guy who signed a five-year, $24.25 million deal (no-movement clause included) with the Devils in July … but at least it doesn’t look like another head injury.
* – Also his scoring touch, no doubt.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 20
- All eyes on Lundqvist 9
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)