Sep 19, 2013, 8:53 PM EST
Newly signed New Jersey Devils forward Ryane Clowe left Thursday’s exhibition against the New York Islanders and didn’t return thanks to a hit by Mike Dalhuisen. Considering his recent history with concussions, the good news is that it’s labeled a lower-body injury, according to The Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti.
Video of the check isn’t available (yet, at least), but this post’s main image catches the exchange. As of this moment, it doesn’t appear that the Devils have issues with the check Dalhuisen delivered.
Clowe, 30, struggled to get up after the hit and left New Jersey’s bench after a few shifts.
The Devils added the gritty winger because of his size and experience,* but those battles add up over the years. Concussions and other issues limited him considerably over the years, even when he was able to play in most games, as he did in 2013 (40 regular season contests between the San Jose Sharks and New York Rangers).
It all adds up to a bad start for a guy who signed a five-year, $24.25 million deal (no-movement clause included) with the Devils in July … but at least it doesn’t look like another head injury.
* – Also his scoring touch, no doubt.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)