Sep 19, 2013, 2:45 PM EST
The Dallas Stars continued their summer of re-shaping on Thursday, naming Jamie Benn the sixth captain in team history.
“In a very short period of time, Jamie Benn has gone from being an exciting up-and-coming player in the NHL, to being a cornerstone of the franchise,” Stars GM Jim Nill said in a statement. “He has steadily grown as a player and as a person. He conducts himself each and every day in a professional way and continually leads by example.
“We fully believe that he will be a driving force in getting this team to the next level — and now he’s our captain.”
Benn, 24, has spent his entire four-year career in Dallas and committed to the organization long-term last season by signing a five-year, $26.25 million extension.
Named to the NHL’s All-Star team in 2012, Benn has become the face of the franchise in relatively short order, one of the few constant presences during the aforementioned changing of the guard.
This past summer alone, Dallas hired a new GM (Nill), a new coach (Lindy Ruff), introduced new uniforms (see here), acquired a new No. 1 defenseman (Sergei Gonchar) and pulled off a blockbuster seven-player deal with Boston, landing Tyler Seguin and Rich Peverley.
Benn inherits a Stars captaincy left vacant since Brenden Morrow was traded to Pittsburgh at last year’s deadline. Prior to Morrow, Dallas’ “C” was worn by Mike Modano, Derian Hatcher, Neal Broten and Mark Tinordi.
Feb 27, 2015, 12:11 PM EST
The Minnesota Wild have placed 33-year-old winger Stephane Veilleux on waivers, per Sportsnet. Veilleux, who’s appeared in over 400 career contests for the Wild, has played 12 games this year, scoring two points while averaging 7:42 TOI per night. It seems as though he’s the odd man out following the Sean Bergenheim trade; in last…
Feb 27, 2015, 11:50 AM EST
Didn’t get the power-play time in Toronto.
Feb 27, 2015, 11:39 AM EST
“He actually said, ‘Can you believe I’m calling you on this guy?’ And I said, ‘No, I can’t. But let’s talk.”
Feb 27, 2015, 11:13 AM EST
Norris candidate will sit after getting injured during Wednesday’s win over New Jersey; Tyler Wotherspoon has been recalled from AHL Adirondack.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:56 AM EST
Starting tonight in New Jersey.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:54 AM EST
Announced his retirement on Friday.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:53 AM EST
He endured a rough stretch, but has bounced back recently.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:57 AM EST
He’ll bring experience, but at 43 years old can he also give Florida a boost offensively?
Feb 27, 2015, 8:02 AM EST
Friday’s collection of links.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:16 AM EST
His shutout streak is now at 172:22.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:31 PM EST
Nino Niederreiter combined skill and good fortune to help his team win.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:06 PM EST
Making room for Andrej Sekera.
Feb 26, 2015, 10:30 PM EST
Nice work from Craig Smith and Nino Niederreiter, respectively.
Feb 26, 2015, 10:17 PM EST
The possibilities are extensive, it seems.
Feb 26, 2015, 9:55 PM EST
Giving up precious points.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:52 PM EST
Two goals on eight shots was enough to inspire a change.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:37 PM EST
He doesn’t regret signing with Toronto, though he’s welcoming the change.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:12 PM EST
Feb 26, 2015, 8:00 PM EST
Minnesota needs this against one of the West’s best.
Feb 26, 2015, 7:39 PM EST
In other news, it appears as though David Krejci is on LTIR.
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 9
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 13
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 31
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 65
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)