Sep 19, 2013, 2:45 PM EST
The Dallas Stars continued their summer of re-shaping on Thursday, naming Jamie Benn the sixth captain in team history.
“In a very short period of time, Jamie Benn has gone from being an exciting up-and-coming player in the NHL, to being a cornerstone of the franchise,” Stars GM Jim Nill said in a statement. “He has steadily grown as a player and as a person. He conducts himself each and every day in a professional way and continually leads by example.
“We fully believe that he will be a driving force in getting this team to the next level — and now he’s our captain.”
Benn, 24, has spent his entire four-year career in Dallas and committed to the organization long-term last season by signing a five-year, $26.25 million extension.
Named to the NHL’s All-Star team in 2012, Benn has become the face of the franchise in relatively short order, one of the few constant presences during the aforementioned changing of the guard.
This past summer alone, Dallas hired a new GM (Nill), a new coach (Lindy Ruff), introduced new uniforms (see here), acquired a new No. 1 defenseman (Sergei Gonchar) and pulled off a blockbuster seven-player deal with Boston, landing Tyler Seguin and Rich Peverley.
Benn inherits a Stars captaincy left vacant since Brenden Morrow was traded to Pittsburgh at last year’s deadline. Prior to Morrow, Dallas’ “C” was worn by Mike Modano, Derian Hatcher, Neal Broten and Mark Tinordi.
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 3
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 8
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 97
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (97)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (87)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)