Sep 19, 2013, 2:45 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars continued their summer of re-shaping on Thursday, naming Jamie Benn the sixth captain in team history.
“In a very short period of time, Jamie Benn has gone from being an exciting up-and-coming player in the NHL, to being a cornerstone of the franchise,” Stars GM Jim Nill said in a statement. “He has steadily grown as a player and as a person. He conducts himself each and every day in a professional way and continually leads by example.
“We fully believe that he will be a driving force in getting this team to the next level — and now he’s our captain.”
Benn, 24, has spent his entire four-year career in Dallas and committed to the organization long-term last season by signing a five-year, $26.25 million extension.
Named to the NHL’s All-Star team in 2012, Benn has become the face of the franchise in relatively short order, one of the few constant presences during the aforementioned changing of the guard.
This past summer alone, Dallas hired a new GM (Nill), a new coach (Lindy Ruff), introduced new uniforms (see here), acquired a new No. 1 defenseman (Sergei Gonchar) and pulled off a blockbuster seven-player deal with Boston, landing Tyler Seguin and Rich Peverley.
Benn inherits a Stars captaincy left vacant since Brenden Morrow was traded to Pittsburgh at last year’s deadline. Prior to Morrow, Dallas’ “C” was worn by Mike Modano, Derian Hatcher, Neal Broten and Mark Tinordi.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (159)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)