Sep 19, 2013, 4:11 PM EDT
After just two preseason games, Kerby Rychel is headed back to the OHL.
Rychel, Columbus’ first-round pick (19th overall) at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, has been sent back to his junior team in Windsor after a week-long stay at Jackets training camp.
The 18-year-old forward probably saw the writing on the wall when he played just over five minutes in Wednesday’s 5-4 win over Carolina. While a solid prospect, Rychel needs to grow and put size on his 6-foot, 185-pound frame in order to play consistently at the NHL level.
Rychel was the only player Columbus sent back to junior today, dispatching 17 others to AHL Springfield.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25