Sep 19, 2013, 4:11 PM EST
After just two preseason games, Kerby Rychel is headed back to the OHL.
Rychel, Columbus’ first-round pick (19th overall) at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, has been sent back to his junior team in Windsor after a week-long stay at Jackets training camp.
The 18-year-old forward probably saw the writing on the wall when he played just over five minutes in Wednesday’s 5-4 win over Carolina. While a solid prospect, Rychel needs to grow and put size on his 6-foot, 185-pound frame in order to play consistently at the NHL level.
Rychel was the only player Columbus sent back to junior today, dispatching 17 others to AHL Springfield.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 8
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2