Sep 19, 2013, 4:11 PM EST
After just two preseason games, Kerby Rychel is headed back to the OHL.
Rychel, Columbus’ first-round pick (19th overall) at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, has been sent back to his junior team in Windsor after a week-long stay at Jackets training camp.
The 18-year-old forward probably saw the writing on the wall when he played just over five minutes in Wednesday’s 5-4 win over Carolina. While a solid prospect, Rychel needs to grow and put size on his 6-foot, 185-pound frame in order to play consistently at the NHL level.
Rychel was the only player Columbus sent back to junior today, dispatching 17 others to AHL Springfield.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4