Sep 19, 2013, 2:58 PM EDT
The hybrid-icing experiment was undertaken to cut down on serious injuries like the potentially career-ending one Carolina defenseman Joni Pitkanen suffered in April. But despite being intended to keep the players safer, the experiment isn’t being met with overwhelming enthusiasm.
Gormley notes that Chimera isn’t alone in his opinion among teammates, many of whom think the rule will be voted down by the NHLPA following the preseason and, thus, not implemented for the regular season.
That would seem to support a report from TSN’s Darren Dreger:
The PA intends on gathering feedback from players starting next week, but no decision has been made by the players as to how the intel will be gathered.
While it’s too soon to predict how the players will act on the matter in the days ahead, there’s reason to believe they will opt to stay with status quo and reject hybrid icing.
While hybrid icing was created with good intentions, some have complained that it’s too confusing and would prefer a more black-and-white rule.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 4
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 36
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)