Sep 19, 2013, 2:58 PM EDT
The hybrid-icing experiment was undertaken to cut down on serious injuries like the potentially career-ending one Carolina defenseman Joni Pitkanen suffered in April. But despite being intended to keep the players safer, the experiment isn’t being met with overwhelming enthusiasm.
Gormley notes that Chimera isn’t alone in his opinion among teammates, many of whom think the rule will be voted down by the NHLPA following the preseason and, thus, not implemented for the regular season.
That would seem to support a report from TSN’s Darren Dreger:
The PA intends on gathering feedback from players starting next week, but no decision has been made by the players as to how the intel will be gathered.
While it’s too soon to predict how the players will act on the matter in the days ahead, there’s reason to believe they will opt to stay with status quo and reject hybrid icing.
While hybrid icing was created with good intentions, some have complained that it’s too confusing and would prefer a more black-and-white rule.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 17
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)