Sep 19, 2013, 2:58 PM EST
The hybrid-icing experiment was undertaken to cut down on serious injuries like the potentially career-ending one Carolina defenseman Joni Pitkanen suffered in April. But despite being intended to keep the players safer, the experiment isn’t being met with overwhelming enthusiasm.
Gormley notes that Chimera isn’t alone in his opinion among teammates, many of whom think the rule will be voted down by the NHLPA following the preseason and, thus, not implemented for the regular season.
That would seem to support a report from TSN’s Darren Dreger:
The PA intends on gathering feedback from players starting next week, but no decision has been made by the players as to how the intel will be gathered.
While it’s too soon to predict how the players will act on the matter in the days ahead, there’s reason to believe they will opt to stay with status quo and reject hybrid icing.
While hybrid icing was created with good intentions, some have complained that it’s too confusing and would prefer a more black-and-white rule.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 68
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 94
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 6
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 179
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (179)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (94)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (89)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (87)