Sep 19, 2013, 12:41 PM EDT
Injury reports continue to roll in across the NHL.
The ‘Hawks play tonight against the Penguins, Friday against the Capitals, Sunday against the Red Wings and then Monday against the Penguins (again).
Based on the four-game window, Hossa could theoretically return for Chicago’s final two exhibition games next week, but the club has stated he’s “expected” to be ready for the start of the regular season on Oct. 1.
As for the injury?
It’s unclear exactly what Hossa tweaked. The 34-year-old missed time last year with an upper-body injury (including Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Final) and, afterward, reports surfaced of him dealing with a bad back throughout the playoffs.
Injuries have been a part of Hossa’s deal since joining Chicago in 2009. He’s missed over 50 games with upper-body, shoulder and concussion issues.
In other Chicago injury news, prospect Brandon Pirri left practice on Thursday with a lower-body injury, an ailment that’s dogged him throughout training camp. Pirri, 22, led AHL Rockford in scoring last year and was pegged as a potential replacement at center for Dave Bolland, sent to Toronto at the NHL Entry Draft.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 94
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5