Sep 19, 2013, 12:41 PM EDT
Injury reports continue to roll in across the NHL.
The ‘Hawks play tonight against the Penguins, Friday against the Capitals, Sunday against the Red Wings and then Monday against the Penguins (again).
Based on the four-game window, Hossa could theoretically return for Chicago’s final two exhibition games next week, but the club has stated he’s “expected” to be ready for the start of the regular season on Oct. 1.
As for the injury?
It’s unclear exactly what Hossa tweaked. The 34-year-old missed time last year with an upper-body injury (including Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Final) and, afterward, reports surfaced of him dealing with a bad back throughout the playoffs.
Injuries have been a part of Hossa’s deal since joining Chicago in 2009. He’s missed over 50 games with upper-body, shoulder and concussion issues.
In other Chicago injury news, prospect Brandon Pirri left practice on Thursday with a lower-body injury, an ailment that’s dogged him throughout training camp. Pirri, 22, led AHL Rockford in scoring last year and was pegged as a potential replacement at center for Dave Bolland, sent to Toronto at the NHL Entry Draft.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 0
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 21
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 14
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 23
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)