Sep 19, 2013, 12:41 PM EDT
Injury reports continue to roll in across the NHL.
The ‘Hawks play tonight against the Penguins, Friday against the Capitals, Sunday against the Red Wings and then Monday against the Penguins (again).
Based on the four-game window, Hossa could theoretically return for Chicago’s final two exhibition games next week, but the club has stated he’s “expected” to be ready for the start of the regular season on Oct. 1.
As for the injury?
It’s unclear exactly what Hossa tweaked. The 34-year-old missed time last year with an upper-body injury (including Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Final) and, afterward, reports surfaced of him dealing with a bad back throughout the playoffs.
Injuries have been a part of Hossa’s deal since joining Chicago in 2009. He’s missed over 50 games with upper-body, shoulder and concussion issues.
In other Chicago injury news, prospect Brandon Pirri left practice on Thursday with a lower-body injury, an ailment that’s dogged him throughout training camp. Pirri, 22, led AHL Rockford in scoring last year and was pegged as a potential replacement at center for Dave Bolland, sent to Toronto at the NHL Entry Draft.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 5
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)