Sep 19, 2013, 12:41 PM EST
Injury reports continue to roll in across the NHL.
The ‘Hawks play tonight against the Penguins, Friday against the Capitals, Sunday against the Red Wings and then Monday against the Penguins (again).
Based on the four-game window, Hossa could theoretically return for Chicago’s final two exhibition games next week, but the club has stated he’s “expected” to be ready for the start of the regular season on Oct. 1.
As for the injury?
It’s unclear exactly what Hossa tweaked. The 34-year-old missed time last year with an upper-body injury (including Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Final) and, afterward, reports surfaced of him dealing with a bad back throughout the playoffs.
Injuries have been a part of Hossa’s deal since joining Chicago in 2009. He’s missed over 50 games with upper-body, shoulder and concussion issues.
In other Chicago injury news, prospect Brandon Pirri left practice on Thursday with a lower-body injury, an ailment that’s dogged him throughout training camp. Pirri, 22, led AHL Rockford in scoring last year and was pegged as a potential replacement at center for Dave Bolland, sent to Toronto at the NHL Entry Draft.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)