Sep 19, 2013, 1:54 PM EST
Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli says the “goal” is to have defenseman Dougie Hamilton playing in the NHL, not the AHL, this season.
However, that doesn’t mean Hamilton is assured of playing time in Boston. Per CSNNE.com, Chiarelli confirmed the 20-year-old will compete with fellow d-men Torey Krug, 22, and Matt Bartkowski, 25, for two spots on the B’s blue line. Which means — barring injuries to regulars Zdeno Chara, Dennis Seidenberg, Johnny Boychuk, or Adam McQuaid — one of the three will be left on the outside looking in.
Hamilton played 42 games for the Bruins last season, scoring five times and adding 11 assists. However, he had his share of rookie struggles, most notably in the playoffs when he appeared in just seven games — none past the second round — as Boston made it all the way to the Stanley Cup Final.
Ideally for Boston, Hamilton will earn a regular spot in the line-up, since sitting in the press box as a healthy scratch wouldn’t do much for his development. The ninth overall pick in the 2011 draft, Hamilton has the potential to be a franchise defenseman in the NHL.
“I thought Dougie had a good game [Tuesday versus the Capitals],” said Chiarelli, “he was strong on the puck and made some good plays and closed well as the game progressed.”
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 1
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)