Sep 19, 2013, 1:54 PM EST
Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli says the “goal” is to have defenseman Dougie Hamilton playing in the NHL, not the AHL, this season.
However, that doesn’t mean Hamilton is assured of playing time in Boston. Per CSNNE.com, Chiarelli confirmed the 20-year-old will compete with fellow d-men Torey Krug, 22, and Matt Bartkowski, 25, for two spots on the B’s blue line. Which means — barring injuries to regulars Zdeno Chara, Dennis Seidenberg, Johnny Boychuk, or Adam McQuaid — one of the three will be left on the outside looking in.
Hamilton played 42 games for the Bruins last season, scoring five times and adding 11 assists. However, he had his share of rookie struggles, most notably in the playoffs when he appeared in just seven games — none past the second round — as Boston made it all the way to the Stanley Cup Final.
Ideally for Boston, Hamilton will earn a regular spot in the line-up, since sitting in the press box as a healthy scratch wouldn’t do much for his development. The ninth overall pick in the 2011 draft, Hamilton has the potential to be a franchise defenseman in the NHL.
“I thought Dougie had a good game [Tuesday versus the Capitals],” said Chiarelli, “he was strong on the puck and made some good plays and closed well as the game progressed.”
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)