Sep 19, 2013, 3:38 PM EDT
Sbisa, 23, has been a regular fixture on the Ducks blueline over the last two seasons, appearing in 121 of 130 games while averaging nearly 20 minutes a night. The former first-round pick (19th overall, 2008) injured his ankle during Anaheim’s preseason opener against Phoenix and didn’t play in Tuesday’s 6-0 loss to the Kings or Wednesday’s 2-1 win over Colorado.
As mentioned, it’s another hit for the Anaheim defense.
The club is already without the services of veteran Sheldon Souray, who tore wrist ligaments in August and could be out ’til the new year. While the club did scramble to sign Mark Fistric, it still lacks veteran presences on the blueline with the absence of Tony Lydman.
Lydman, 35, averaged over 20 minutes a night for the Ducks last year, but also suffered a concussion in their postseason series against Detroit that has sidelined him indefinitely. Lydman, currently a UFA, has received contract offers but is unsure he wants to resume playing.
There are also questions about whether Francois Beauchemin will be ready for the start of the year. He underwent torn ACL surgery in the offseason and is progressing well, but there are no guarantees he’ll be good to go for Oct. 2.
Update (5:15 p.m. ET)
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)