Sep 19, 2013, 12:10 PM EST
Two of Detroit’s veteran forwards will miss tonight’s preseason game with injuries.
While not cause for major alarm — it’s only Detroit’s third of eight preseason games — the injuries have to be considered something of a setback, as Alfredsson and Franzen were projected to skate on the team’s second line between newly acquired center Stephen Weiss.
Given the three are all new to each other, opportunities to play together are key.
Franzen, 33, has yet to skate in a preseason game due to the hip issue, a lingering injury from last season (one that cost him seven regular season contests).
Alfredsson, 40, played in Tuesday’s 2-0 loss to Chicago after sitting out the preseason opener against Pittsburgh.
Despite these injuries, Detroit is still sending a loaded lineup to Boston tonight. Pavel Datsyuk will center Henrik Zetterberg and Justin Abdelkader on the top like while Weiss, Tomas Tatar, Daniel Cleary, Joakim Andersson, Gustav Nyquist and Jordin Tootoo are also projected to be in the lineup.
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 22
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 15
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 72
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 28
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Patrick Kane (fractured clavicle) out 12 weeks after surgery 41
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (72)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)