Sep 19, 2013, 12:10 PM EDT
Two of Detroit’s veteran forwards will miss tonight’s preseason game with injuries.
While not cause for major alarm — it’s only Detroit’s third of eight preseason games — the injuries have to be considered something of a setback, as Alfredsson and Franzen were projected to skate on the team’s second line between newly acquired center Stephen Weiss.
Given the three are all new to each other, opportunities to play together are key.
Franzen, 33, has yet to skate in a preseason game due to the hip issue, a lingering injury from last season (one that cost him seven regular season contests).
Alfredsson, 40, played in Tuesday’s 2-0 loss to Chicago after sitting out the preseason opener against Pittsburgh.
Despite these injuries, Detroit is still sending a loaded lineup to Boston tonight. Pavel Datsyuk will center Henrik Zetterberg and Justin Abdelkader on the top like while Weiss, Tomas Tatar, Daniel Cleary, Joakim Andersson, Gustav Nyquist and Jordin Tootoo are also projected to be in the lineup.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 2
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 12
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 53
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 19
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 16
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)