Sep 19, 2013, 12:10 PM EDT
Two of Detroit’s veteran forwards will miss tonight’s preseason game with injuries.
While not cause for major alarm — it’s only Detroit’s third of eight preseason games — the injuries have to be considered something of a setback, as Alfredsson and Franzen were projected to skate on the team’s second line between newly acquired center Stephen Weiss.
Given the three are all new to each other, opportunities to play together are key.
Franzen, 33, has yet to skate in a preseason game due to the hip issue, a lingering injury from last season (one that cost him seven regular season contests).
Alfredsson, 40, played in Tuesday’s 2-0 loss to Chicago after sitting out the preseason opener against Pittsburgh.
Despite these injuries, Detroit is still sending a loaded lineup to Boston tonight. Pavel Datsyuk will center Henrik Zetterberg and Justin Abdelkader on the top like while Weiss, Tomas Tatar, Daniel Cleary, Joakim Andersson, Gustav Nyquist and Jordin Tootoo are also projected to be in the lineup.
- Here’s latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 0
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 61
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)