Sep 19, 2013, 12:10 PM EDT
Two of Detroit’s veteran forwards will miss tonight’s preseason game with injuries.
While not cause for major alarm — it’s only Detroit’s third of eight preseason games — the injuries have to be considered something of a setback, as Alfredsson and Franzen were projected to skate on the team’s second line between newly acquired center Stephen Weiss.
Given the three are all new to each other, opportunities to play together are key.
Franzen, 33, has yet to skate in a preseason game due to the hip issue, a lingering injury from last season (one that cost him seven regular season contests).
Alfredsson, 40, played in Tuesday’s 2-0 loss to Chicago after sitting out the preseason opener against Pittsburgh.
Despite these injuries, Detroit is still sending a loaded lineup to Boston tonight. Pavel Datsyuk will center Henrik Zetterberg and Justin Abdelkader on the top like while Weiss, Tomas Tatar, Daniel Cleary, Joakim Andersson, Gustav Nyquist and Jordin Tootoo are also projected to be in the lineup.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)